General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hon DUH Cat on camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Hon DUH Cat on camaro.

Ok so not entirely accurate, I had the shop change out a bad cat on my 3800 II in my camaro, now at wot it sounds like an angry Honda? What gives? Should I just put a Vtek sticker on it??? Lol

Ok so i actually think it's hillarious, but still a serious question? Everything else stayed the same.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like they hollowed it out. Which means they cut the platinum out so it is more of a ORY instead of doing it's job. Hope you don't have Sniffer tests. That's a big fine. And an even bigger fine for them.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hollowed it out? The charged me 200 bucks for a new cat!!! Ill be kinda pissed. They could have gutted my original cat if that were the case and saved me 200 bucks..
Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Launching!

It definetly shouldn't be raspy with a new cat on. I'd check it for weld marks and if the cat is aged. If it is held on by hangers take it off and look through it. You should definetly be able to see the lump of platinum in it. (Looks like a screen but its seriously a filter) if you see through it perfectly...they hollowed it out.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its all welded, kinda poorly too i might add... Maybe it has a bad weld on the cat? The cat is deff new, no way to tell for sure if they hollowed it out short of cutting it off. I know its my regular shop i sent it to but yhey sent it to their satelite shop since that's where the "exhaust" guy is.. If thats how they do exhaust, i wont be using them for exhaust anymore. I asked them to put a cutout behind my cat, "see my ball
Valve cutout thread". They said their wasn't enough room, ok w/e put it back together stock. So their is no reason why they should have charged me 200 bucks and gutted my cat. Would it throw a code if they gutted it?? So far no codes and it had 7 on it when I took it in. Its also running better other then the fact I sound like a Hon DUH with a fart can... And i mean a ton better...

Oh well w/e i guess unless a code throws, I'll just live with it..
Old 05-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Nah it wont throw codes. All he would have to do is tune out the rear o2's and its problem solved. It really isn't that hard if you know what you're doing. I had a guy do it to my 3.4L back in the day and he completely deleted my EGR and rear o2's and hollowed out my cat for under 150 bucks. He even gave me the platinum inside of the cat. He did a **** poor job welding and he even left my windows down for 3 days straight (while his shop is next to a power plant..yeah...talk about "dirt") But he got the job done. I had to re-weld my hollowed cat back up because the job was so bad. There's a lot of bad and good that comes from these local exhaust shops.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could just be the fact its not a OEM replacement... and will go bad within 2 years