General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fluids

Ok guys, so my car has been sitting for a while, only being driven a hand full of times over the past 2 years. I want to change out all the fluids to be safe and keep them fresh; also to keep track of regularly changing them.

So I ask you guys, what brands and type of fluids to you use for:

-Brakes
-Clutch
-Trans (M6)
-Rear
also, what kind of fuel filter do you guys use?

Lastly, after how many miles do you guys usually replace each?

Thank you.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use pretty much all AC delco stuff. Brake fluid isn't gonna matter much unless you road race it, just standard DOT3 is fine. Clutch I forget, (I believe DOT3 also, but different P/N according to GM) but keep in mind clutch fluid level rises as the clutch wears, so dont top it off unless its below the min mark. Brake fluid should be changed out every few years. I've never flushed clutch fluid.

For the trans, I'd try and find rather Dexron III (not VI, which is what they will give you if you say you want Dex III) or what they just call "Manual Transmission and synchromesh fluid". I've heard of Dex VI causing problems in the T56. Not sure if its true, but I dont wanna be the guinea pig. Since its cheap I'd do the trans every 20k or so.

Rear end is 75W90 synthetic (brand wont really matter) with a limited slip additive (I believe 4 oz additive), also 20-30k. People go a LOOONG time on this stuff and usually have no issues, I just like the peace of mind.

Fuel filter brand doesnt matter much, it only has a 15-20k interval anyways so it dont stay on too long. I've used Fram I've used OEM, had problems with neither.

Oh, at least do a drain and fill on the radiator don't let all that Dex-cool stay in too long. Its good stuff if its changed out regularly. 50/50 coolant and clean drinkable water (doesn't HAVE to be distilled like everyone says, unless you have some super hard water)
Old 06-01-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man, I appreciate it!