General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Headlights

This started a few days ago, was backing out of a parking spot when I noticed my gauges all snap to the right real quick then return to normal. It did this randomly several times during a five minute drive home. Got home, turned the car off and checked the fusible links under the fuse box. All looked good so I put it backed together, started the car but it stopped doing it's version of possessed gauge cluster. This was during the day. A couple nights later I was leaving work at night and noticed I had no headlights, all other lights are fine.

So, I finally get time to really start digging in to the problem. I removed the switch to check it out and hear something rattling around. Yes! Found the culprit!! Nope, installed new switch, still no headlights and the demon that I thought I exorcised is back reaking havoc with those little red needles. Now I noticed a ticking noise coming from gauge cluster as well, what's really odd, is the fact you can hear the ticking when the car is off.

At this point I'm not sure what my next step should be, have alternator checked out, gauge cluster issue? Any advice would be great!!

TIA
Craig
Old 06-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Found a schematic for the lights, there seems to be a relay for the headlights in the drl module. Anyone have one for sale?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by soulless
Found a schematic for the lights, there seems to be a relay for the headlights in the drl module. Anyone have one for sale?
That relay controls the DRL lights, not the headlights.

You should go back to the first event with the gauge sweeps. That usually signifies an alternator issue. Have you tested that? Are you sure whatever happened didn't blow the bulbs?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Launching!

There are two relays in the module, one for drls and another for the headlights.

Check this thread out, exact same issue, even down to the blown switch.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ights-not.html