General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A few problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few problems.

Alright a may try to sell my bird in a few months, but before I do I wanted to try and fix everything thats wrong with it. Alright for starters its an 02 ws6 A4 with no mods. It's got 117,000miles on it. When I got it 2 years ago it didn't have any SES lights on. After about a year of driving it I got an SES light. Scanned it with a hand held, got two codes. PO171 and PO174 (bank 1 system to lean) (bank 2 system to lean). A little farther down the time line it started making an awful racket underneath the passenger door. I got under it and found it to be coming for the catalytic converter(just the passenger side). Took it off and the cat had come apart inside and was rattling around. It's my DD, so I just busted it all out to stop the rattle. I guess my question is could the cat have been causing my codes before it came loose? Are my oxygen sensors done for with no cat in place?

2nd issue: This may be related to the above. Sometimes (its inconsistent sometimes it does it sometimes not)when I come to a stop like a red light and then try to take off the car will shutter for a second like it doesn't want to go. If I give it more gas it will suddenly lurch forward. Like I said it only happens sometimes and it only does it when I come to a stop or almost a stop.

3rd issue: This has just happened in the past month or so. Ill be riding along and all the sudden some of my dash lights will come on. The TCS light comes on and my button for TCS won't work. The ABS light comes on as well. It's happening just about everytime i get in the car. I'll Get 20 miles down the road and they will pop up. If I turn it off and then back on they all go away.

4th issue:My suspension is getting really squeaky. Anyway to fix that.

One more thing how do you get the change oil light to go away. It was in my manual, but I can't find my manual.
Thanks, in advance.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To turn off light... Turn your key to acc. Position. Then pump gas 3 times then hold. It should go off. That's how you reset it if I recall correctly. And ONCE in my M6 all
My lights came on. But not after that day. I'd like to know what hapn aswel
Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fbodieslive
Alright a may try to sell my bird in a few months, but before I do I wanted to try and fix everything thats wrong with it. Alright for starters its an 02 ws6 A4 with no mods. It's got 117,000miles on it. When I got it 2 years ago it didn't have any SES lights on. After about a year of driving it I got an SES light. Scanned it with a hand held, got two codes. PO171 and PO174 (bank 1 system to lean) (bank 2 system to lean). A little farther down the time line it started making an awful racket underneath the passenger door. I got under it and found it to be coming for the catalytic converter(just the passenger side). Took it off and the cat had come apart inside and was rattling around. It's my DD, so I just busted it all out to stop the rattle. I guess my question is could the cat have been causing my codes before it came loose? Are my oxygen sensors done for with no cat in place?

2nd issue: This may be related to the above. Sometimes (its inconsistent sometimes it does it sometimes not)when I come to a stop like a red light and then try to take off the car will shutter for a second like it doesn't want to go. If I give it more gas it will suddenly lurch forward. Like I said it only happens sometimes and it only does it when I come to a stop or almost a stop.

3rd issue: This has just happened in the past month or so. Ill be riding along and all the sudden some of my dash lights will come on. The TCS light comes on and my button for TCS won't work. The ABS light comes on as well. It's happening just about everytime i get in the car. I'll Get 20 miles down the road and they will pop up. If I turn it off and then back on they all go away.

4th issue:My suspension is getting really squeaky. Anyway to fix that.

One more thing how do you get the change oil light to go away. It was in my manual, but I can't find my manual.
Thanks, in advance.

ill try to answer some of the issues best i can 1st issue yes those codes could be from the cats. GM has a recall / Warranty on the CATS for 00-02 ls1 so you might be able to get them replaced for free. your front 02 sensors should be ok but your rears might not since you gutted the cats wouldnt be a bad idea to replace them.

dont know about issue 3

issue 4 hard to say i would check the bushings on the suspension the could just be worn out and need replacing

to get the oil light off can be a little tricky may have to try a couple of times but basically you turn the ignition into the on position while you hold the trip reset button, hold the reset button until the change oil light blinks 3 times

issue 2 could be related to the cats and 02 sensors like you said get issue 1 once fixed and see if it fixes issue 2
Old 06-30-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was told to pump gas. But I've never had it come on for me
Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Issue 3 sounds like you have different size tires in front and back. It's making the traction control read the front wheels turning faster than the rear so it thinks the car is losing traction constantly so it shuts off the TCS and ABS.

If you have tires that are within an acceptable size of each other, then it's probably a bad ABS sensor.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ that sounds reasonable.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys. My tires are all the same, so it must be the sensor.