General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Noticed a thump noise...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noticed a thump noise...

I've noticed lately that my car has a slight thump noise coming from the rear, and its only when i pass over a good hump or unequal pavement on the road. More than likely its my rear shocks, Just wanted to get some feed back on this before i go out and buys some.
Also, as i was looking underneath for any other wear and tear, I saw the torquer arm bushing thats at the transmission side is worn and Trq arm moves up and down. Is this bad? and if so whats it called so i can replace it.

I was thinking of going back with regular shocks, but if anyone has a good experience with after market, at a good price, pls let me know.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Try and bounce the car in the back if it doesn't immediately come back up and keeps bouncing they are bad. Also if the shocks are bad you will more than likely see some funky tire wear
Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the torque arm mount change that first before your shocks or it maybe your tranny mount also.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A
I've noticed lately that my car has a slight thump noise coming from the rear, and its only when i pass over a good hump or unequal pavement on the road. More than likely its my rear shocks, Just wanted to get some feed back on this before i go out and buys some.
Also, as i was looking underneath for any other wear and tear, I saw the torquer arm bushing thats at the transmission side is worn and Trq arm moves up and down. Is this bad? and if so whats it called so i can replace it.

I was thinking of going back with regular shocks, but if anyone has a good experience with after market, at a good price, pls let me know.

Thanks in advance
Tq arm bushing... get poly type from energy suspension... got it on both my cars... The thuump could be the tq arm smacking the metal tq arm bushing clamp/housing w/e you wanna call it.... you change/replace bushing yourself in driveway... sugguest using ramps or jacks... about 30min to 1hr job if you have all needed tools.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys, I'll replace the bushing and go ahead and throw in some cheap shocks for now.
I'll get the better stuff once my new LCA replacement bars go in.
Going with gforce gabriel shocks for now... got em for 45 bucks a pair with a discount from my buddies.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those control arms are in the works Ill get a price after the prototypes are on my T/A you want yours polished, Natural, or Anodized?
Old 07-14-2012, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
Those control arms are in the works Ill get a price after the prototypes are on my T/A you want yours polished, Natural, or Anodized?
I guess finish isnt really important, since they wont be noticed. And stealth is always better.

Whatever is more affordable, Cant wait for reviews... You should make a before and after short vid clip.

I swaped my old stock shocks, for these cheap gabriel ultra, (G-Force). I have to say, its night and day!!! the ride feels so much more smoother and a lil stiffer.
Im happy with the quality of this knock off brand, lol...

Bushing is not that easy to find at autoparts stores, will use the above mention site to get one.

Quick Reply: Noticed a thump noise...