General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

the squeak from hell....!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the squeak from hell....!!

Where to begin. How to explain. Well, I shall try my best.

I have a squeak from the front passenger side of the vehicle, by the tire (I believe). First off, things I have tried:

1) grease/lube every joint and even used some zep 45 lubricant on the strut/shock spring and joints.

2) jack up car and jerk back and forth on wheel in every which way, no squeak at all.

3) with car on ground push down on top of fender over and over, no squeak at all.

It is an intermittent squeak, however, it does it 90% of the time when I take off (and does it louder the more I drop the clutch or if I do a on purpose unsmooth jumpy take off like beginners do when they are learning a manual). It will also do it SOMETIMES when I drive down my parents dirt road and go over all the bumps. It will squeak squeak squeak, then a week later, same bumps, no squeak. Sometimes when slowing down it will do it or going around a turn but those are more rare. Also when I was driving 85mph on a long trip it was doing it here and there with cruise on. Does not matter if a/c is on or not. New tires, balanced, aligned. Drives great. Squeaks anytime I take off from what sounds like the front passenger tire. I've tried to get under it and wiggle everything possible with no success. Car has 34k miles on it, 00' ws6 6 speed. Hoping one of you geniuses might have an idea of where to start. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

I have a 2000 WS6 M6 as well and mine squeaks from the same area yours does. It started doing this maybe earlier this year and like yours, mine does it intermittently. I haven't gotten around to checking it but I'm thinking it may be bad/worn shocks or springs? I'm still running on my stock shocks/springs. Only thing is I have about 98k miles on mine. Still would like to hear what this is tho....
Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I know I have chased some similar squeaks that ended up being the sway bars bushings. Spray some WD-40 or something similar on them and see if it goes away.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Ive had this squeak/rubbing sound before. Turned out to be my fender tapping against the wheel well. I'm not 100% its what your experiencing but try at the bottom of the fender near the bottom mounting bolts and kinda wiggle/push it to see if it does it. Otherwise i hope you find where the hell its coming from!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I know I have chased some similar squeaks that ended up being the sway bars bushings. Spray some WD-40 or something similar on them and see if it goes away.
Originally Posted by colinpd137
Ive had this squeak/rubbing sound before. Turned out to be my fender tapping against the wheel well. I'm not 100% its what your experiencing but try at the bottom of the fender near the bottom mounting bolts and kinda wiggle/push it to see if it does it. Otherwise i hope you find where the hell its coming from!

Ok I jacked up the car. I zep 45 blasted the sway bar bushings. Also I grabbed a hold of the sway bar itself and shook it pretty hard with no noise. My plastic fender piece was cracked into 2 piece, I re-lined it up, drilled holes with screws and locking washers with Loctite plastic epoxy in the middle and let it sit for about 8 hours. The squeak was still there. So I bought rtv black silicone and lined all the edges of that plastic panel I fixed in case it was rubbing something, and still it did not fix the issue. I also noticed if I put the car is 1st gear and get it up to about 3k rpms and floor it and then let off, then floor it again ect, every repeated time that I floor it it makes that squeak noise. And it still does it every time I take off. Think I'm going to have to take it to a pit and just go through everything piece by piece. I'm at a loss and its driving me crazy. 34k mile pristine car can't have a ridiculous squeak like this. All my passengers ask about it. It's embarrassing. Sigh. Other thoughts?

Quick Reply: the squeak from hell....!!