General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start, doesn't turnover.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car won't start, doesn't turnover.

Car won't start. Turn the key and accessories come on but I don't even get a click. No security light, battery is good. Have had some vibrating noise coming from behind the guage cluster recently too, kind of like a plastic piece rattling a little bit. Don't know if that could even be related though.

It's been running good and hasn't been hard to start at all. Haven't had anything apart for awhile.

What should I check next? Is there a way to bypass the ignition with a jumper wire or sopmething to see if that's it? Stater possibly? But that's only a year old.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Tried swapping out the fan relays with the starter and ignition relays and still nothing. Any more relays anywhere I can check other than the the ones in the fuse box under the hood. All fuses look good too.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean the battery terminals and clamps and put them on snug before you try anything else. Could be something dumb like this. If you have a DMM check for voltage at the starter - that would rule out any relays/fuses. Could be a bad starter - friend had a jeep once with a spotty starter where we would have to get out and tap it with the end of an ice scraper handle to get it past the bad spot on the motor.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Terminals are good and clean. Car never even sees rain so I don't think it's any type of bad connection. Possibly a wire but doubtful, everything is pretty much stock. Don't have a dmm.

My friend at the starter alternator shop says he thinks it's a vats issue but wouldn't the security light have to be on if that was the issue. Just by listening to it he thinks the starter isn't even getting power, seems pretty convinced although he didnt get under it to test it.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Probably a bad ignition switch, by the sound of it. Get out the multimeter and make sure that the starter is getting power. If no power is going to the starter, it's something between it and the battery. If it is getting power, try hitting it with a wrench.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

I jumped the starter from the relay and the starter turns over so most likely the ignition then?

Any diy's for an ignition? Somethin a relatively newb can do. Need any special tools?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Just to update this.

Just left the car sit a couple days and figured I'd just go out and try it again before I went and bought a multimeter tomorrow and it started up like ten times in a row. wtf!

Now I just hope I don't get stranded somewhere if it does it again. Luckily it was in my garage when it acted up.

Quick Reply: Car won't start, doesn't turnover.