General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeal-a/c compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012 | 11:45 AM

Question Squeal-a/c compressor?

Hello,

I just bought a 2000 Chevy Silverado and when I bought it the guy told me the a/c pump was out. He told me when you turn on the a/c you can hear it squealing. When I bought it and test drove it, there was no squealing. Anyway, I hadn't planned on fixing it until next summer. I didn't think it was a big deal.

Now the truck has started squealing, at least I think that is what is making the noise. I turned the heat dial over to cold, but the a/c isn't on. I'm not sure if that would matter.

Anyway, would it squeal even without the a/c on or do I have another problem? Also, does this mean I need to fix it now? Someone told me if the a/c compressor is locked up it could ruin a lot of other things in my truck, is that true?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2012 | 12:54 PM
...with cheese.

A/C compressors have electromagnetic clutches. If the air isn't on the clutch shouldn't engage the compressor and it'll just free-wheel like an idler. Assuming it's the compressor that's causing it to squeal.
Old 08-17-2012 | 02:34 PM
Teching In

Does it always squeal now even when the a/c is off? If so, it could be your idler pulley or tensioner pully. They are fairly cheap to replace and that could be all your problem is.
Old 08-17-2012 | 06:01 PM

Okay, so it must be something else because it is squealing all of the time now. To me it sounds like a squeaky wheel that needs to be greased. I'm no mechanic. I guess I will have to take it in and have a mechanic listen to it.

How much would an idler pulley or tensioner pulley cost?

Thank you
Old 08-17-2012 | 07:21 PM
Teching In

I think I paid around a total of 40 for the a/c tensioner and idler pulley
Old 08-18-2012 | 01:15 AM

Okay, I'll get it checked out. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2012 | 02:48 AM
TECH Addict

Mine was doing the same thing when the ac was turned on. The ac belt is slipping or glazed over. It could also be that your compressor has completely seized and its about to throw the belt

Te ac tensioner with pulley is $34.99 the belt was $11.99

Quick Reply: Squeal-a/c compressor?