General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

headlight problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight problem...

Ok, just bought a 01 WS6 maybe 3 weeks ago. Last fri it started the clicking that happens when the gears strip in the flip up headlight motors. Did my search on the 180 deg gear swap. Thought everything would be cool if I knocked it out. Before I realized the former owner had already done this I drove the car and used the lights. Tore it all apart yesterday, picked up new motors today,tore it down and put it all together. This is where the problem starts I cant solve, the drivers side goes up when it should go down. The pass side does what its suppose to. If I turn the lights on it goes down and the light stays on. It made me so mad I had to walk away, anyone else have a issue this crazy? Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 355 Likes on 324 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You didn't put the door lever back on the motor post correctly. If you check the good side and how it rotates, you'll see that one of them is on backwards.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Teching In

Man they are the same, I put them both on the same. I didnt take them off, Ill double check later today and see if there is any way else they could fit
Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

If the hinge in the lever is in the correct position and the end is between the stops correctly, the lever may not be pressed on to the shaft correctly. (In this case, remove the nut, and press really hard on the lever until the keyed part of the metal is solidly over the flat parts of the shaft.) If the lever isn't squarely on the shaft when you tighten down the nut, the end of the lever can miss the stops and this happens.

That all being said... the position of the lever and the seating of the lever on the shaft are the common problems. I recall seeing some posts where the motor was wired wrong and I've also received badly wired motors in the past. Its just not as common.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Teching In

After looking at it again the motor must be wrong, Its seated correctly and hitting the stops. Im getting another tomorrow if its also wrong Ill just swap the wires in the plug and let it bump. Thanks for the replys
Old 08-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Well I ended up taking back the first 2 I bought. Got another set, the other side was wired backwards. I just rewired it and going to let it bump. Now Im going to take time to reset the gaps around the light covers when they are down. I hope this post can help someone else with the same problem.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by jwc57
Well I ended up taking back the first 2 I bought. Got another set, the other side was wired backwards. I just rewired it and going to let it bump.
By chance, were these Cardone motors?

Originally Posted by jwc57
Now Im going to take time to reset the gaps around the light covers when they are down. I hope this post can help someone else with the same problem.
Good luck with that. Please let us know if you have success. When I and a body shop have looked at mine, it seems the problem is more with a lack of support in the bumper. (The bumper cover will then "wrinkle" differently under the doors.)

Quick Reply: headlight problem...