General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Cutting Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Cutting Off

Was on my way home from work, the girl and I decided to get dinner before.
Got about 6.5 miles out, going about 60mph, accelerating in third gear when it just started bogging out. Felt like I was running out of gas or something, so I dropped it into 2nd and hit the gas and it bogged really bad. I soon realized (after putting in the clutch and lowering my radio) that the car had turned off. Electrical was still there, but engine was off. I tried starting it again (while coasting) and it would turn over but stumble and die, instantly. I coasted it another .25 miles more or less, trying to steer (which was a PITA without power steering). I pulled into a neighborhood and parked against a curb.
Tried starting car again... nothing. I primed the fuel pump with the turn of the key 3 times, and it made no difference. The car would crank (like a bad battery/dying starter) catch, then stumble and die. Not even enough time to pump the gas peddle. Although, I tried a few times and it did nothing.

I swear it seemed like I was out of gas. I just filled up Sunday (2 days ago) and had only driven ~80 miles. I started thinking maybe someone had siphoned it, so the girl and I grab the gas can and walk the miles (round trip) to the nearest gas station to grab a gallon of gas.

It didn't help. Called Progressive and got a tow-truck on route. Took about 45 minutes. I tried starting the car a few more times while I waited.

Oil level/color looked good. Nothing clogging the MAF screen/air lid/baffles. No SES codes.

Tow truck shows up and on first try the car starts right up (figures), but I decide to have it towed home anyway. We position the car and then we run into the issue with the car being too low. Try to back the car up a bit, but car is acting up again (lol). Anyway, we get it on the flat bed.
Car Cutting Off-2012-09-11-19.23.56.jpg
Get home, lower it, try to start it so I can park it and it's still useless.

So, it's going to sit, all crooked and hardly lined up in a parking spot, until I figure something out.

What are my options? Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for spark and check for fuel at the rail. I've seen fuel pumps go out like this.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh, fuel pump being the issue is what I was dreading.

Quick Reply: Car Cutting Off