General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

passenger headlight lowbeam

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default passenger headlight lowbeam

I was driving today and had recently fixed the headlamp motor so my lights flip up again but while driving I realized my passenger side headlight wasn't on. I stopped at a gas station and was playing with the connector on the back of the low beam housing to make sure it was secure but it came right off. Now I really don't have a headlight because I don't have any wire connected to it. I am having a hard time putting that plastic clip back into place because the 2 metal rods behind the housing are slightly bent. Not only that but there is barely any room to work back there. Could it also possible that there is some wire still inside that plastic clip because no matter how I try to put it back on the housing on, it just won't fit back into place. I see there is a little pin that I am assuming gets that clip loose but I don't know how to take it off. I don't know if something is stuck inside the female part of that clip or if I am just putting it wrong. Can someone please help as to an easy method to get my headlight back. I read somewhere it may possibly be the fuse but before I can check that I gotta reattch this clip. I know first and foremost I gotta reattch that wire but I am thinking of just upgrading my ballasts and getting my low beams to hid's. Any help with reattaching and getting my headlights working would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The motor electrical contacts are notorious for getting corroded. All the headlight wires go through the same connector.

When the new motor gets plugged in, its common for the new connector to make contact with corroded material on the car-side connector, breaking the circuit.

You may be able to fix this by cleaning up the contacts inside the connector.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would tend to agree, clean the contacts (maybe a piece of solder is stuck on there). If its somewhat rusted you will need to try a bit harder to fit it on there
Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HUGE bump from the dead, but im having the same problem, what would you guys use to clean the inside of the connector?

Or better yet, does anyone have a part number to replace the whole thing. Mine looks pretty corroded and i tried replacing the light and it still doesnt work.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Nevermind, i just found the part number and its not as expensive as i though. Ill just buy them and splice it in. The part number from vatozone is 85896 for future reference.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you splice in a new connector, you'll want to make sure it comes with waterproof shrink splices due to the very wet location. I know the GM connectors come with them but I'm not sure about what regular parts stores offer for these.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you splice in a new connector, you'll want to make sure it comes with waterproof shrink splices due to the very wet location. I know the GM connectors come with them but I'm not sure about what regular parts stores offer for these.
They didnt come with splice connectors. But ill make sure i get waterproofed ones when i do get them. Thanks.

Quick Reply: passenger headlight lowbeam