General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-20-2016, 02:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

LS1 Camaro Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 Camaro Overheating

My car is overheating, it all started when i went to grab some food. I parked the car but didnt turn it off and after a minute or 2 the car overheated and was pissing coolant from the overfill resevoir. I replaced the coolant cap and the temp sensor assembly (one big piece). The car was still overheating. I noticed the fans were not turning off and my temp guage was reading past the 200 mark, so i put my A/C on to kick the fans and the car would stay cool enough to not overheat. I replaced the fan sensor relay #3 but it didnt do anything. When i replaced the coolant temp sensor assembly i drained & put brand new coolant in. Now my temp guage wasnt even going above 150, as if it was a cold start. The car was warmed up but the guage didnt move at all and it overheats.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you replace the actual radiator cap? That's another cheap idea that could be the problem if overflowing out of the over flow
Old 11-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i replaced the radiator cap, i just called it a coolant cap for some reason.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like the temp sensor was damaged...
id changed the thermostat. Could be not opening enough anymore. system could have a blockage or possibly the case could be a water pump that **** the bed.
did you happen to do any work to the fans themself? if wired backwards, they will push air the wrong way. ive done that. :/
Old 11-10-2012, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It sounds like You have air in the system . You need to bleed it out . with it running and just reaching the temp the thermostat opens at loosen 1 of the cross-over tubes bolt enough that air/coolant escapes until no more air escapes and top off radiator with dex-cool/distilled water . Or You can drive the car up and down a really steep hill and that will usually get the air out of the upper portion of the coolant passages in the cylinder heads .
Old 11-10-2012, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,287 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tzone21
I noticed the fans were not turning off and my temp guage was reading past the 200 mark, so i put my A/C on to kick the fans and the car would stay cool enough to not overheat.
I don't understand this.

You say "the fans were not turning off", and then you turned the A/C on to "kick the fans". What does all that mean? I'm guessing you meant to say that the fans were not turning ON, and that you then turned the A/C on to try and get the fans running?

Either way, 200-210° on the gauge is normal, and represents an actual coolant temp anywhere between about 190° and 230°.

But if the fans are not cutting on even when the engine is hot enough to blow coolant out of the overflow, then your problem likely lies with the fan system. And if turning the A/C on gets the fans to run and then solves the overheating, this is further indication that the problem lies with the fans.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd replace the thermostat.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't understand this.

You say "the fans were not turning off", and then you turned the A/C on to "kick the fans". What does all that mean? I'm guessing you meant to say that the fans were not turning ON, and that you then turned the A/C on to try and get the fans running?

Either way, 200-210° on the gauge is normal, and represents an actual coolant temp anywhere between about 190° and 230°.

But if the fans are not cutting on even when the engine is hot enough to blow coolant out of the overflow, then your problem likely lies with the fan system. And if turning the A/C on gets the fans to run and then solves the overheating, this is further indication that the problem lies with the fans.
Well when i put the A/C on it forces the fan to cut ON which gives me more time untill the car overheats. We did test all the fans at the dealership and they all work perfectly.

Originally Posted by BoostedWS7
looks like the temp sensor was damaged...
id changed the thermostat. Could be not opening enough anymore. system could have a blockage or possibly the case could be a water pump that **** the bed.
did you happen to do any work to the fans themself? if wired backwards, they will push air the wrong way. ive done that. :/

Well the temp sensor did work when i changed it. Now it wasnt working at all so i assume it was from a large air pocket in the cooling system. Brought the car to my buddy at the local sport chevy dealership and were running all the tests. My coolant overflow resevoir was full but when i checked the radiator it had very little coolant in it. I ordered a new GM radiator cap instead of the garbage one i got from the store. IF that dosent fix the overheating issue than its probably a new radiator (we did a fan check and all 3 are running the way their sapost to)
Old 11-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Also while i was there the car would not start at all. Then when we would get it to start it would rev to 6,000rpms without me even touching the gas peddle, throttle cable or anything. Replaced the throttle body control sensor? ( cant remmember the name ) and it fixed that. Their computers found 2 more bad sensors that normal readers cant see (a clutch sensor and a reverse solenoid) which explains some other issues ive been having with the car. Now im sure theres a vacuume leak so were chasing that as well. The power steering resevoir was leaking from the high pressure hose and my pump may be toast as well so thats all getting replaced. (filled with power steering fluid around 1,000 miles ago and its bone dry) Replaced the liquid with automatic transmission fluid. Damn everything is going bad at once
Old 11-12-2012, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

As mentioned replace the thermostat, its not a difficult procedure either.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mattyfresh89
As mentioned replace the thermostat, its not a difficult procedure either.
I did replace the thermostat but nothing changed.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Teching In

My 1997 SS is also running hot, sort of the same thing (dash gauge indicated 210+, fans work with A/C, OBD II reads 220+ but fans not on without A/C, radiator full, overflow full, new temp sensor). Hope you figure it out so I can learn from your troubles.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

My mechanic called me today and told me what i kinda knew all along. The radiator has a big crack in it and is leaking the coolant from there. Im not at all surprised, now i just need to find a good aftermarket radiator or perhaps a lt1 radiator. Anyone got any tips?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tzone21
My mechanic called me today and told me what i kinda knew all along. The radiator has a big crack in it and is leaking the coolant from there. Im not at all surprised, now i just need to find a good aftermarket radiator or perhaps a lt1 radiator. Anyone got any tips?
You should be able to find NEW LT1 radiators for under $100......

$96.00....rockauto.com
SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT Part # CU1486

$103.00....rockauto.com
PRO Part # 8011486

Quick Reply: LS1 Camaro Overheating