General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temp sensor

Problem as been fixed, but i was curious as to why my car would throw all kinds of codes, run like **** and sometimes not want to start do to bad connection for the coolant temperature sensor... Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

very strange. my coolant temp sensor went out after heads/cam swap. Put a new one in and all was good.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was installing headers and accidentally broke mine.. Tried to run it for a while but if a sensor is out of sync it will affect other parts of the car. Cooling fans will come off and on at wrong times, it can affect the temperature that the car runs at as well. I know mine ran like crap until I swapped it out with a GM OEM replacement from the Chevy dealership. Just my experience with it
Old 11-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fbdy4life
Problem as been fixed, but i was curious as to why my car would throw all kinds of codes, run like **** and sometimes not want to start do to bad connection for the coolant temperature sensor... Any input would be appreciated.

My 1998 PCM will not allow my engine to run with a bad sensor or an unplugged sensor. It spits, backfires and sounds like its gonna fall apart....if I touch the throttle, it stalls instantly. Plug it in.....its perfect.

Go figure.....

Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a cracked sensor once, and it would constantly kick the car in and out of closed loop as it lost and regained connectivity, resulting in it running like absolute crap.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by fbdy4life
This article does a good job explaining why this happens:
www.wellsve.com/sft503/Counterpoint2_2.pdf

Quick Reply: Coolant temp sensor