General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with brake line

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with brake line

Hello all, I am in the middle of changing out my front rotors and calipers. I did the front left just fine, but when I got to the front right, trouble began. Like an idiot, I tried to remove the flexible brake line from the hard line without really paying much attention. Next thing I know, the hard lines bolt rips off and brake fluid starts to leak. I get into panic mode for a second, then I realize there isn't anything I can do now. So my question is, how hard is it to replace a hard line? I realize I need to bleed my system so I am looking at a pressure bleeder kit for $79.99. Never done it before, so we will see how it goes. I have read that if you have traction control, you need to get it done with a scan tool. I don't have traction control, so I should be able to do it all myself, right? Sorry for the long read.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep the cap on the master reservoir and wrap the broken line with some saran wrap and tape or something to stop the leak and prevent the master reservoir from draining down. As long as you don't let the master run dry and introduce air into the master cylinder you have nothing to worry about.

you have abs and it's the abs modulator you don't want to get air in to because then you may need a scan tool to purge it. sorry can't help you with the hard line, not sure if the right front is one line going all the way back to the abs unit. i would look up on rockauto and go to napa for brake hard lines. i don't think it's as bad as you think, just need to find a replacement brake line. and for bleeding you can either get a power bleeder plus the gm cap which isn't cheap. or you can buy solo-bleeds or self-bleeders that replace your existing bleeder screws on each caliper for around $30, then you just pump the brake pedal to flush the system. i used the motive power bleeder on my gmc sierra and made a mess, i recommend if you use a power bleeder to just fill your master res. to the top then only use the power bleeder as an air tank, don't put brake fluid in the power bleeder tank because if the cap doesn't seal on the plastic reservoir which it most likely wont you'll have a mess.

just looked on rockauto out of curiosity, they don't have any hard line. I would look to see how far back you have to go on the hard line and see how much you have to replace. you can buy 4' and other lengths of hard brake line from jegs for like $5 a piece. If you need longer then just get a union and connect the pieces together, you don't need one continuous pre-bent piece. you can definitely buy these at napa and most parts stores, you'll need to figure out the thread & pitch on the line fittings I don't know what those are.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 12-02-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input 1 FMF. This is all new territory for me, so I don't even know where to begin. I'll give napa a call and see if they have a replacement part.

Quick Reply: Help with brake line