General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window track problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window track problems

My daughter bought a 02 trans am, and I am her mechanic. When she bought the car both windows do not close all the way properly. I thought they just needed to be adjusted. So I took the door panel off the drivers door, and tried adjusting the window, but nothing was working, so then I started watching all the components while moving the electric window up and down. What I found is that the track that runs horizontally is loose. Where it mounts near the door handle there are two pop rivets and a bent tab holding it and I believe the motor in place. The pop rivets are loose and the holes have been elongated as this has been going on for some time. I greased the tracks as I guess that this was part of the problem, but how can I fix the elongated slots to be round again so I can drill out the rivets and put bolts in to tighten it back up. Will jb weld work? Another great design by the general, should have at least put some metal there, oh well any input will be greatly appreciated.

tia
andy schuck
Old 12-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is a common problem, usually due to a bad drill-out job on the rivets or using the improper rivets on a previous window motor replacement job. The holes in the composite door aren't easily repairable, but there is a fix available using a reinforcing plate. This is the best thread illustrating the problem and fix:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

As the mechanic , you'll also want to plan for the future. The window motor replacement is a common thing and will need to be done in the future. So, as you do the plate fix, you might want to allow for the future replacements. I recommend the shbox method for replacement:http://www.shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

The plate fix will keep the regulator in place and if you drill the additional shbox holes now and continue them through your plate, you can be ready to change the motors in the future without disrupting the regulator or your plate fix.

Quick Reply: window track problems