General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to clean surface rust off of ls1 spindle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean surface rust off of ls1 spindle?

I have some ls1 spindles I am getting ready to swap into my lt1 camaro. I'm on the fence between cts-v 4 piston calipers and z06 rotors and s0b 6 piston pbr calipers or ctsv 6- piston calipers. I think I will use 14-14.5 inch rotors just not sure about the details yet.

However in the meantime I have an ls1 front sub-frame sitting in my driveway out of a 99 trans am, engine/tranny kmember, and all collecting rust on the spindles. Would wd-40 or coke be ok to clean with? Sand paper, wire brush, towel soaked in coke?? Not sure because I don't want to damage anything. I would worry about cleaner getting into the wheel bearings and messing them up. I don't want to replace the wheel hubs so I just want to know if it would be ok to get/soak it all in coke or wd-40. Would those damage or clog the wheel hub or make it sticky etc. so the wheel doesn't turn freely. If I'm totally off base let me know. I feel like the wheel hubs shouldn't be exposed but I figure before I do anything I should ask.

Also, Is it safe to go ahead and just paint the whole thing? Or do I have to worry about getting paint in the wheel hub too? I just want to prevent rust so I am going to use some spray paint to keep the rust off. Probably some caliper spray paint. Either black or red, maybe blue lol xD. I like exotic colors but like I said, I really just want to prevent the rust from coming back. Right now surface rust is spreading and little dots are appearing all over the spindle. I want to save them before they are unusable and I don't want to buy new spindles and hubs because gm parts direct sells them for like $300 each so that's way to expensive.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try a 3M stripping wheel ,it works with your drill.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

How bad is the rust?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i just used sand paper, and a small wire brush. then rinsed them off with some water and dried them with a towel, repeated the same thing again. Then hit them with 3 coats of primer and then 3 coats of black rustoleum. so far so good.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 140 Likes on 113 Posts

wire brush, vinegar, aluminum foil. I powder coated mine. The bearing assembly slipped right in. Went in far easier then it came out.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
wire brush, vinegar, aluminum foil. I powder coated mine. The bearing assembly slipped right in. Went in far easier then it came out.

WOW those look great! I might have to powder coat mine too. I was looking at por 15 for all the suspension parts but I hear that it can make an un-even surface and cause the wheel to wobble. Anyone know about this?

The rust isn't too bad, really. But its ugly as hell orange and sat out in the rain for a week or two.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

So far I am trying to decide between powder coating and por 15. I plan on tracking the car so heat in the caliper is sort of a big deal. I hear the por 15 doesn't do a good job of dissipating heat when used as caliper paint? I really have no idea because its all just hearsay but the black does look really good in the picture.

And my spindles look roughly the same as the ones pictured.
Attached Thumbnails How to clean surface rust off of ls1 spindle?-hpim0279lr0.jpg   How to clean surface rust off of ls1 spindle?-hpim0284xt2.jpg  

Quick Reply: How to clean surface rust off of ls1 spindle?