General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help

so last night i decide to take my 2000 SS outta the garage for a ride, its been sitting in a garage since end of Nov because of the snow and stuff. i started it and no dash lights, no radio, no odometer, no tail lights nothing. the headlights work, brake lights and courtesy lights. so i decide i have a spare fuse luckily i put it in the power fuse slot, i cant remember the number but it was a 15a fuse.
so now i had odometer, gauges, hvac radio working. but no tailights and no dash lights. sadly the reason i found out my tail lights werent work was the cop who pulled me over he was having a bad day i guess FML. i had head lights so i figured i had tail lights guess not. now it also popped the same fuse as last time. my dimmer fuse is ok, i have no aftermarket cd player or sound system and there's no way nothing got wet from sitting. the car was fine when i put it away btw. any ideas what to do next and plz dont tell me to trace wires first, i want that to be a last resort. ive read about replacing the head light switch, could that be the issue?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I can't tell what your problem is. Is it that your tail lights and dash lights don't work or that you keep popping fuses?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Well, if you don't want to trace the wires than keep some spare fuses in the car. My lights did the same thing and it was just a fuse, but if the problem persists it could be a very easy ground being loose, fuses going bad or a break in the wires somewhere. The brake lights in my truck kept going out and it was a small break by the spare tire. I did have to trace with a tester, but it only took an hour or so to find and fix.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
I can't tell what your problem is. Is it that your tail lights and dash lights don't work or that you keep popping fuses?
dash lights and tail lights dont work.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

When your headlights are on and you turn on the turn signals, do the front lights blink from dim to bright or from off to bright?

Have you confirmed the TL LMPS fuse is good?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

update. found the issue. i checked the tail light fuse, it was bad. so i replaced it, dash lights were good, tail lights worked. i turned my fog lights on and pop went the fuse again. here's an important piece of info i forgot. i have hid's in my headlights and fog lights. i had no idea that they would be an issue because i ran them all summer last yr with no issues. he told me because its so cold out like 15 degrees, and they run so hot that it was pulling too many amps causing my fuse to blow. he said it should be back to normal when it warms up. so im not running my fog lights and havent had the issue again. just thought id share so if anyone had the issue.

Quick Reply: Need help