General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PCV or Breather Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow PCV or Breather Valve?

One of the PCV or breather hoses that runs from the driver side valve cover to the passenger side (?) valve cover deteriorated. It has come apart completely. I temp. taped it back up. I'm burning a ton of oil. It's blue smoke, and pretty thick. Not Seafoam thick, but it's a fair amount. What do I need to replace this tube, and is this related to the burning oil?

Thanks,
Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I am going this route:
http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/SMH%20...0for%20LS1.mht
Old 03-14-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can't see the link, but run a new vac line to the pcv then on the other side a vacuum line to a filter with a clear plastic case for an air compressor. Get some brass fittings, the filter, and some 3/8ths vac/trans line and or hose and connect the other side to the intake. It wont allow any of the oil to get on the intake and let the car ping.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Ls6 vc ftw !!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suspect that a leaking hose will only retard the flow of oil into the intake and not accelerate it, since it is the hose that maintains the vacuum for excess crankcase pressure to vent into the pcv. There was a big discussion here a while back which basically concluded that a catch can is the better choice over a breather (the argument was based on the detrimental effects of the accumulation of broken down oil inside the engine). You might wanna try a catch can for a while and, if that doesn't reduce consumption, you can get a leakdown test. In the mean time, you may also want to keep up with fuel additives that can help clean oil buildup in the combustion chambers, since that will only promote detonation if you run hot.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
I would suspect that a leaking hose will only retard the flow of oil into the intake and not accelerate it, since it is the hose that maintains the vacuum for excess crankcase pressure to vent into the pcv. There was a big discussion here a while back which basically concluded that a catch can is the better choice over a breather (the argument was based on the detrimental effects of the accumulation of broken down oil inside the engine). You might wanna try a catch can for a while and, if that doesn't reduce consumption, you can get a leakdown test. In the mean time, you may also want to keep up with fuel additives that can help clean oil buildup in the combustion chambers, since that will only promote detonation if you run hot.
Thank you. FWIW, from the FSM:

I'm debating a catch can that we offer here at work... These are the two...

Large: http://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_7162.htm
Small: http://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_7161.htm

Not sure if they are any good, but my cost is better than the listed pricing of course.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its very system to redo you can re route it the same with some fittings as mentioned above and some 3/8" fuel hose. I added a ws6store catch can while i was at it. The car runs like a champ, but never really gave me any problems to begin with and it helps i tune it myself.

Quick Reply: PCV or Breather Valve?