General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Security light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Security light stays on

Hello again. Just got this 2002 z28 2 months ago. As of this morning, the security light came on. Car performs flawlessly, but the Security light stays on. I only have one key, and yes, its clean. I have looked up the vats bypass online, but all I have found were directed toward older lt1 models. Would the vats bypass work (resistors under the dash) to remedy this problem? I am a college student and money is a factor.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannonball
Hello again. Just got this 2002 z28 2 months ago. As of this morning, the security light came on. Car performs flawlessly, but the Security light stays on. I only have one key, and yes, its clean. I have looked up the vats bypass online, but all I have found were directed toward older lt1 models. Would the vats bypass work (resistors under the dash) to remedy this problem? I am a college student and money is a factor.
Yes. Just find out what resistor you need to get rid of the light. Get an ohm meter.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its easy to do. I made mine so i can unplug the resistor if i want and the car would never start
Old 03-13-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

more info please
Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Teching In

I have now bypassed the vats as mentioned before. However, the security light remains on. Sent it to work with a friend today who will put it on the scan tool, as I am hoping the code just needs deleted. Otherwise, I am stumped as to what it could be. Does anyone else have any suggestions or ideas as to how to fix this? I need this car running 100% a.s.a.p.

Last edited by Cannonball; 03-14-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cannonball
I have now bypassed the vats as mentioned before. However, the security light remains on. Sent it to work with a friend today who will put it on the scan tool, as I am hoping the code just needs deleted. Otherwise, I am stumped as to what it could be. Does anyone else have any suggestions or ideas as to how to fix this? I need this car running 100% a.s.a.p.
pull the light

im not 100% on this but if day your key is a 15ohm you cant just put a 15ohm resistor in, you have to wire it in series or something, it was explained to me by whitebird *could be wrong on the name drop*
Old 03-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Cannonball let me know what you come up with since I'm too having the same problem. I haven't had any issues with i starting but the light is starting to get annoying.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

The security module needs replaced.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Got it figured out now, It was the key lock mechanism. I was just using the wrong resistor (stupid me). I found this site to be of a great help, as I was totally ignorant to the world of resistors.

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronic...calculator.php

Now I can continue to be ignorant to resistors, as this site does the thinking for me!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Someone accidentally hurled on my dash & steering column while i was driving, soon after the security light came on.

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

excerpt from the page:

The lock cylinder circuit is continuously monitored. If a fault lasting 1 minute is detected, the SECURITY lamp will light. If the fault then goes away for 1 minute, the lamp will go back off.

If the system detects a fault with the lock cylinder circuit after the engine is already running, the SECURITY lamp will light. The engine will be able to be restarted. This is called “fault enable mode”. (The system saw a good reading from the key at one point during a previous ignition cycle before the failure. So, it considers it a problem and not someone trying to steal the car.) When in fault enable mode, PASSKey protection is disabled until the problem is repaired. Once repaired, the SECURITY lamp will go out about 1 minute after the key is turned on. Fault enable mode will not shut down the engine while you are driving.

Cant be rolling around with my anti-theft inoperable so,

Got some q tips and some 91% rubbing alcohol and cleaned/dried out the key & key cylinder.

Problem fixed.

Quick Reply: Security light stays on