General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2001 SS camaro map lights staying on

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 SS camaro map lights staying on

I just bought the car for my wife and noticed that the courtsey fuse was pulled, I installed a new one lights came on (headliner,and both map lights) and when you close the door the rear dome light dims out but the map lights stay on. I havent owned a camaro before so I am not sure of normal operation. Pushing the buttons in and out doesnt affect them.
Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of a dumb question on my part, but did you adjust the roll-**** for the brightness? (Dimmer switch)

The one on the left. All the way up, like in the picture turns on the overhead lights.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it dimming to barely noticeable or on?

My map lights in my o2 i noticed that they didn't go all the way off.. I didn't notice it u.til i out the leds in, not sure if the normal bulbs didst or not.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Launching!

Open both doors and get someone to help you. You'll both need to push in the door switches all the way to see if the lights go out. I do not know how a newer one is wired but on the old ones you have 12V on one side of your courtesy lights all the time. The door switch OR the dimmer switch then provides ground if the door switch is opened or dimmer switch is turned up all the way. If the lights are staying on and it's not the dimmer switch, then most likely a door switch is not pushing in far enough. It has a little plunger on the back side that grounds out when the switch is extended. Again, I'm going off my "old" knowledge. Had a couple LS1 cars but not for long periods....
Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

The dimmer switch is rolled down, I have sat in the car with both doors shut and the rear light goes off so I assume the door switches are working. I dont know if its something with the mirror or what I have it unplugged right now

Quick Reply: 2001 SS camaro map lights staying on