General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

POS 98 camaro with electical problems!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POS 98 camaro with electical problems!

Are all these 98 model cars crap or just the one I bought? This thing cranks and runs everytime I get in it without fail, BUT it has an issue where it doesn't stream data from the MAF sensor which I haven't really done much to fix yet. In addition the driver's side window motor acts weak(typical) and when I let it up and down it will only make it a few inches before it stops working for a minute or so. I attributed this to a bad motor until it made the radio go off for a minute or so. The radio works 90% of the time but I would be much happier with 100% of the time! The gas guage works fine when we use the scanner to command it but not on its own. I figured it was just a sending unit but damn, with these other elecrical issues who knows?! Have any of you guys had a POS like this one? I'm wondering if I should even start to troubleshoot this thing. It may end up being somebody else's car.....
Old 04-28-2013, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can't help you with the maf problem but with everything else its a simple fix, just use the search and type your problem and you find the cure.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lol! If it works it will be the first time.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,270 Posts

My '98 hasn't had any of these problems in the last 15 years of its life. Sounds like your particular car has some issues. Could happen with any older used car.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by JWStevens
Are all these 98 model cars crap or just the one I bought?
No, and I'm not sure the car you have is crap or your problems are all electrical. They sound more like issues you'd find on any 15+ year old car. They don't sell '98's new any more...

it has an issue where it doesn't stream data from the MAF sensor which I haven't really done much to fix yet.
Not sure what this means, but K&N oil filters are notorious for gumming up the MAF, keeping it from playing nicely with the rest of the car.

In addition the driver's side window motor acts weak(typical) and when I let it up and down it will only make it a few inches before it stops working for a minute or so. I attributed this to a bad motor
It is a bad motor. You can replace it with the new Dorman model (be sure to use the shbox method) and forget about it for a long time.

the radio go off for a minute or so. The radio works 90% of the time but I would be much happier with 100% of the time!
Check the electrical stickies to see if you have the common BCM problem around this.

The gas guage works fine when we use the scanner to command it but not on its own. I figured it was just a sending unit but damn, with these other elecrical issues who knows?!
If it was the sending unit, how could the scanner read it? It could be something as simple as a stuck needle on the gauges. (More likely if someone replaced the gauge face in the past.)

Have any of you guys had a POS like this one?
I've had most of these problems in the past. My car runs better than the day it came from the factory.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, my 2000 model camaro has none of these issues and it has 80K more miles so I don't really just want to say its the age of the car especially since I've got many older cars that have never had these type issues. The window motor shouldn't turn the radio off when it gets hot imo which is why I feel like its more than just a motor issue. The scanner will command the gas guage with a screen that's available for this car. When you set the scanner at 50% it shows 1/2 a tank and so on. Its not the guage. Its not a MAF issue because it sends data to the scanner fine when its on my 2000 model car and the one off of my 2000 won't send data on the 98, so its a "car" issue.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 AM

All your items should be looked at as a individual problem.Sounds like someone else made some work for you.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

If the damn transmission would still work it would get a carb on it and I would just live with the other issues.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,270 Posts

It's true that there are certain specific differeces between various model years, (i.e. between your '98 and '00), but none of those specific differences have anything to do with the problems you're seeing. All those same issues could be happening just as easily on a '00 or an '02. So it's not because it's a '98 that you're having these issues, it's because there are some issues with THAT particular car.

Sometimes you get lucky, and buy many used cars without ever getting a "problem" car. Then eventually, you end up with one that breaks the streak.

All you can do with those data issues/lack of connectivity is to start tracing various circuits, looking for damaged/chewed/loose/burned/etc. connections or wires. A shop manual may be helpful, since it will outline the diagnostic matrix that the dealer would use to trouble shoot the various issues.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Well, my 2000 model camaro has none of these issues and it has 80K more miles so I don't really just want to say its the age of the car especially since I've got many older cars that have never had these type issues.
Its not the age. Some people have had these bugs in the first few years of owning the car. Most of the ones you mentioned are common things.

The window motor shouldn't turn the radio off when it gets hot imo which is why I feel like its more than just a motor issue.
If you read more about the BCM fix, you'll understand why this happens. The circuit is more complex than a switch and a motor.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

Well, my 2000 model camaro has none of these issues and it has 80K more miles so I don't really just want to say its the age of the car especially since I've got many older cars that have never had these type issues.
I thought that I was the ONLY crazy person trying to get >500K miles out of one of these 'catfishes'.

I have a ways to go to catch you though with only 160K on the clock ("barely broken in", as they say).
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

The one that's a POS has 178K and it got a New transmission about 6 months ago but the 2000 has 257K on the original motor and trans. She's tired though.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Teching In

I have a 98 with 107 not too bad. Only probs I've had is the passenger windows is slow (but there is a cure for that) and my light dimmer just stays on full

Quick Reply: POS 98 camaro with electical problems!