General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pinion seal leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pinion seal leaking?

I had my oil changed and the mechanic noticed that the pinion seal was leaking. What could I potentially be looking at? Low fluid, replace the seal, total rebuild, etc.?? Just trying to figure out what could be in the cards. The rear is definitely whining when it is in gear also
Old 04-30-2013, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My pinion seal had a slow leak, it's not something I'd want to fix myself. My mechanic did it for me, I don't remember exact cost but it was between $90-$120. I want to say $96 though. Pretty sure it isn't leaking again. Should just have to replace the seal, changing the fluid if it's been a long time may not be a bad idea though.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Was your rear making a noise also or was the leak the only issue?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changing a pinion seal involves a crush collar too which sets the pre-load on the bearing. If you rear was humming at higher speeds while you where on the gas but goes away when you let off then you need a pinion bearing too.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

First thing I wished I had done was to check the fluid level.Mine never leaked on the concrete driveway so I never knew other than the dried up fluid on the drive shaft and wetness on the rear. I had a sound above 45mph that sounded like a tractor trailer was beside me. That problem was my axles were pitted and had to be replaced after only having about 25,000 miles.I did exactly what LS-ONE DAY said.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a very light noise, just loud enough for me to notice on occasion. It's not a constant noise every time I drive and it is faint. I usually notice it between 50-65mph although that isn't saying it doesn't happen at other speeds, that's just when I usually notice it. I'd say I hear it maybe 50% of the time I drive.

It made the noise before and after the pinion seal was replaced. It's a little less common since having it replaced though.

Quick Reply: Pinion seal leaking?