General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

List of problems with 98 Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of problems with 98 Camaro Z28

I am having a few issues

The car does not start right up. it takes a good couple of seconds

the fuel gauge does not read my fuel proper. the gauge just moves wherever it wants

when the car is ready to shift to 2nd, it kicks very hard into 2nd. (automatic)

i have 4 CEL's
P0420
P0430
P0171
P0174

Any ideas?
I think there may be a vacuum leak aswell. I hear a loud hiss noise around the intake area.

Could a bad PCV Hose cause these issues? which vacuum line could actually cause problems like this?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vacuum leak and the catalytic converters are bad. Any work done recently?

Not too many vacuum hoses on the LS1 - take a can of carb cleaner and spray around the engine. Listen for an increase in RPM and you found your leak. PCV hoses can rot out on the back of the engine, check for that as well as swelled/blown intake gaskets.

edit: exhaust leak could cause this as well - but since its starting hard i'd think vacuum leak
Old 05-15-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Vacuum leak and the catalytic converters are bad. Any work done recently?

Not too many vacuum hoses on the LS1 - take a can of carb cleaner and spray around the engine. Listen for an increase in RPM and you found your leak. PCV hoses can rot out on the back of the engine, check for that as well as swelled/blown intake gaskets.

edit: exhaust leak could cause this as well - but since its starting hard i'd think vacuum leak
no work recently. Could any of this cause the hard shifting also? p0171 seems to make me think it is the cause of the hard shifting from 1st to second
Old 05-16-2013, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

p0171 could explain why it doesn't want to start up right away. Not getting enough fuel. As for the transmission, it sounds like it could be on it's way out.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

On older, high mileage LS1s, the ring gasket/seal for the EGR pipe's nipple into the top of the intake manifold gets old/drys out/goes bad often.

Check to see if that "hiss" is coming from that area, as this is a very cheap piece to replace ($.99 @ Rock Auto, $1,99 for a Fel Pro locally for me).

MANY/MOST on here would NEVER know this since the EGR system (along with the A.I.R. system) is the very first thing they dump/get rid of on these cars when they get them.

Quick Reply: List of problems with 98 Camaro Z28