General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2004 GTO Power Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 GTO Power Problem

2004 GTO seems like the battery wont charge, purchased a new battery and got the alternator checked and all seemed well. What are some things to check to help solve this problem. Was thinking it could be a ground but I don't know exactly where to start, any information or suggestions will help.
Thank You
Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hawk632
2004 GTO seems like the battery wont charge, purchased a new battery and got the alternator checked and all seemed well. What are some things to check to help solve this problem. Was thinking it could be a ground but I don't know exactly where to start, any information or suggestions will help.
Thank You
Look at the battery cables see if there is any corrosion build up on them, if so you should replace the cables.

My trans am was only showing 8.5 volts and it had a new battery, alternator tested good, grounds were secure, and still had low voltage but once I replaced the cables all was well and everything worked fine.

If you (Hold Mode + Set then turn the key to ON) that should get you to the secret menu to display voltage keep an eye on it and to see what voltage you are getting.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 058mydust
Look at the battery cables see if there is any corrosion build up on them, if so you should replace the cables.

My trans am was only showing 8.5 volts and it had a new battery, alternator tested good, grounds were secure, and still had low voltage but once I replaced the cables all was well and everything worked fine.

If you (Hold Mode + Set then turn the key to ON) that should get you to the secret menu to display voltage keep an eye on it and to see what voltage you are getting.
Thanks, he recently replaced the positive connection (for my brother) and the connectors were cleaned but we will have to try that voltage display.

Quick Reply: 2004 GTO Power Problem