LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance & Repairs (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs-102/)
-   -   Zerex G05?? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/1657626-zerex-g05.html)

DirtyBirdMKE 06-27-2013 09:41 AM

Zerex G05??

Before you start... NO IM NOT GOING TO USE DEXCOOL

With that said, im looking a the Zerex G05 coolant. Ive read a bunch of guys using it when they convert from the orange stuff.

Any opinions on this stuff? Is there something better for out engines??? (SHUT UP DEXCOOL GUY)

dailydriver 06-28-2013 03:04 PM

If you are set on the G05 (and I would ONLY use the Zerex brand in this), make sure you COMPLETELY flush out the WHOLE system (YES, I would even bother pulling the threaded block plugs) a couple of times and then finally with distilled water before installing said G05.

I've also heard some people have had luck with the Peak Global Long Life stuff as well.

wssix99 06-28-2013 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyBirdMKE (Post 17505958)
Is there something better for out engines???

What are you doing with the car? Do you race it? Is it a daily driver? How often do you change the fluids? What do you expect this stuff will give you that other coolant's won't?

There are several options out there. Our cars came from the factory with a great daily driving formula that enabled 100,000 mile/7 year performance. (This came at the expense of cost and anguish for whoever went very far beyond that 100,000 mile/7 year window with the stuff.)

Depending on your cost, change interval, and usage requirements, there are different choices for you on the market.

DirtyBirdMKE 06-29-2013 02:15 PM

the car is a street car that will get occasional AutoX and Track day use.... i will be going to my friends shop to flush everything with distilled water.

dailydriver 06-29-2013 04:22 PM

The Evans fluid and pump are another option, especially for open track use, but their fluid does get mixed reviews depending on who you ask, and WHERE you live (for a year 'round daily driver like mine is ;) ).

I would suggest at least the thicker than our stock LS1's, LT1 radiator, if not one of the primo, big buck, wider, larger tubed, fully welded, alloy tank, radiators (i.e.; Griffin, Be Cool, Ron Davis, DeWitt, etc.) for extended open track use, especially if your factory stocker is leaking now, or due to be replaced soon.

wssix99 06-30-2013 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyBirdMKE (Post 17511116)
the car is a street car that will get occasional AutoX and Track day use....

Are you looking for better cooling performance then, or are you looking to wait 150K miles between your next flush and change?

DirtyBirdMKE 06-30-2013 08:41 AM

better cooling, better overall performance.. my toyota is my daily.. I live in wisconsin. Winters are for upgrades.. and looking at it in the garage

wssix99 07-01-2013 07:44 AM

The Zerex G05 is ethylene glycol. The exact same stuff as is in most other green antifreezes; just with different additives. So, its a good choice if you want a green coolant that will last a long time, but it won't give you better cooling than anything else. (All the manufacturers say they give "superior boil-over protection," etc., which they can do when compared to water.)

As dailydriver pointed out, the pathway to better performance is mostly mechanical.

Marc 85Z28 07-01-2013 01:34 PM

The HOAT G-05 has problems just like DEX-COOL. I'm a Ford tech so I've been dealing with it since late 2002 when Ford decided that's what they were switching to. It doesn't drip or stain with small leaks. It turns into a light brown crust which means small coolant leaks often go unnoticed, and small coolant passages clog easily. It's also a big contributor to the Ford 6.0 EGR cooler failures and 06+ Explorer cooling system issues. Ford stopped using it years ago.

Stick with the tried and true green coolant if you don't want to use DEX-COOL.

DirtyBirdMKE 07-02-2013 09:18 AM

thanks Marc...

1 FMF 07-04-2013 08:27 PM

you could try pissing in it

https://i31.tinypic.com/2yzk302.jpg

DirtyBirdMKE 07-05-2013 05:31 PM

why the hell didnt i think of that???