General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

steering wheel plate can't remove? Broken?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel plate can't remove? Broken?

I did a search for replacing the cylinder lock mechanisim. I could not figure out how to remove this little metal plate. I bought this used steering colum but i think they fucked it up somehow. Anyways i i got it with no key so i just went to my delership and had them program my old key into my new cylinder lock. But now i cannot disasemble the colum so i can replace the cylinder. can someone help me out? Thanks

Hears a pic of the "new" steering colum.

Last edited by marine2149; 07-03-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Someone did a number on that one!

If you got a new cylinder and have it re-keyed, why do you need to put in a "new" column?

This is a normal disassembly for the column: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html

On that replacement you have, it looks like someone has removed the original lock plate, made that replacement plate, riveted it to the clock spring, and then welded it to the column.

I can't imagine why anyone would do this. Maybe the yellow part of the clock spring got its keys stripped and they had to do this in order for it to move properly with the steering column shaft?

In order to get that out, you'll need to do some grindin', some drillin', and will probably make a mess inside the column and of the end of that shaft.

Quick Reply: steering wheel plate can't remove? Broken?