General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP- security light problem/ vats bypass didn't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP- security light problem/ vats bypass didn't work

I recently started having the vats problem with my t/a so I bought the correct resistors and did the bypass, but my security light still comes on when I put in the keys and my car still won't start. Anybody have any idea what's going on?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Now you need a scanner and a trouble tree. Best thing at this point take it to a experienced shop or dealer.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know about the VATS mod, but my car had this issue years ago and it ended up being a broken wire in the steering column that sends the signal from the chip in the key to the pcm, I had to bring the car to the dealer for that fix
Old 07-17-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thechef
i dont know about the VATS mod, but my car had this issue years ago and it ended up being a broken wire in the steering column that sends the signal from the chip in the key to the pcm, I had to bring the car to the dealer for that fix
That's what vats does, bypasses that wire so you do not have to spend $350 at the dealer

Try the process again, make sure you have the resistors really inside the plug. It took me 5-10 tries to really get the resistor in the plug.

After you get the resistor in you are suppose to leave the key in the on position for about 10 minutes and then come back and try starting it again.

Quick Reply: HELP- security light problem/ vats bypass didn't work