General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rebuild labor cost

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:37 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rebuild labor cost

I spun a bearing on my ride and haven't drove it since. I am about to bring it to the shop this Friday for them to take it apart.

I am also purchasing a new Forged iron or aluminum ls1 block (undecided) since the old one will most likely need to be machined and this way I can have fully built internals for future mods.

As the post states I was wondering on what I will be looking to expect to spend labor wise on average for this rebuild. I plan on using everything from the old ls1 motor and am giving the shop an already built shortblock. I am hoping everything in the old block would be reusable and it should be aside from the bottom end. If the cam is no good from the spun bearing I am going to upgrade that as well but waiting to see if its still reusable.

On average what should I be expecting? Any shops in the area interested who may be located around the NY/Long Island area? I need to know by Friday otherwise I am just going to have it towed to my guy whose pricing is so so. Are there any additional parts that I should be concerned with on replacing when a spun bearing happens? It really hasn't been driven on since the car started making the noise to prevent further damage the motor.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call John at M&W in Babylon (516) 971-5188....he has lots of experience and great prices.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Launching!

I will give him a call and see what he says. I cant find any info on that shop online except for the 2 youtube videos. Do they have a website?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Its kind of weird. The machine guy John (owner of M&W) used to work for John (owner of Machine World)....they all moved location to West Babylon and based on convos with M&W John the two Johns (getting confusing now) had a falling out so M&W John started M&W recently. He was the main machinist at Machine World and literally has his shop right next door to the new Machine World location. Here is the site for Machine World so you can see the level of work they do. M&W John also builds the 2JZGTE Supra motors for M&S Performance who is a VERY respected and renowned shop in the Supra world. M&S pointed me to M&W John when I was having them throw a 2JZ in my 240sx.
http://machineworldny.com/
Old 07-25-2013, 02:53 AM
Launching!

Thanks man I appreciate that. I hope he can get me a good labor rate for my rebuild. I need to get back on the road asap. I almost have enough for the shortblock. I might just take it to him so he can determine whats good on the old motor. He might even tell me that the old motor may still be rebuildable but I am leaning towards a new forged block now anyway. Pricing will make my decision.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

No problem and John is a good guy so no worries. Hes been more than fair to everyone I know including the work he has done for me. GL with the build/re-build.

Quick Reply: rebuild labor cost