General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seeking help!!!! 98 Trans Am headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seeking help!!!! 98 Trans Am headlight problem

I just replaced a headlight motor gear (aluminum gear), assembled and if the driver side is up and the passenger side is down, then when I turn the lights on the passenger side goes up and the driver side goes down. Then I'll turn the lights off and on and the driver side will stay down and the pass side goes like it should... I checked the motor out before I assembled, and it turned completely around both ways. The fuses are fine. Lights go on. Also the light assembly is looser than the pass side. But I can see it trying to go up and down (it moves slightly). Screwy deal. What could I try? Is there a switch that triggers the up and down?

Thanks,
Litl T&A
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Try unplugging the one headlight motor that is up while the lights are off. Turn on the lights and reconnect the motor and turn off the headlights and they should realign. If not you might have to spin the gear back.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The light that is behaving incorrectly does not have the door arm attached to the motor properly. Watch how the arms move with someone else operating the lights and you'll see the problem.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Default problem fixed!!

Originally Posted by wssix99
The light that is behaving incorrectly does not have the door arm attached to the motor properly. Watch how the arms move with someone else operating the lights and you'll see the problem.
The shaft arm wasn't in front of the top stop,
Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Seeking help!!!! 98 Trans Am headlight problem