General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

$4k and a decision to make

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default $4k and a decision to make

If you were in my shoes with a spun bearing being the worst case scenario for the motor that was hardly driven since knocking started to prevent further damage. Where would you put your $? I am expecting the worst because I just have that kinda luck.

Goal: more ponies then I had before with street manners. I was looking to get quality pistons/cam/springs/rods/ bolts and rebuild.

-Rebuild + Labor cost?

-Junk yard swap ?

-New short/long block forged or stock + labor?

Keep in mind I have called local shops around me and they want around $1700-$1900 to remove and take apart / reinstall new motor which is a fair price I guess. I have one racing shop who quoted me 4k for the entire job with all quality internal parts pistons/rods/cam/springs etc for exactly 4k w/ everything including labor and they build racing motors which I am leaning towards at the moment. I live in an apartment and don't have the luxury of having a garage to do my own work in so that sets me back slightly. I only have 4k to spend can't really go much higher then that. I have to make a decision by the end of the week. I got a quote from Vette Doctors and a few local shops by me for estimates to install a shortblock with whats reusable from my existing motor. They advised me not to go this route because it would put me over budget after gaskets bolts labor and anything that may not be reusable from the old motor. I really want a forged motor w/ labor but here in NY that seems like it will not be that easy to accomplish. My motor still cranks even though I haven't started her in a few weeks but it sounds like cans in the engine bay so I know its gotta be taken out regardless.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if a shop will replace your engine with a new one and all labor for 4K.

i would take that after i talked with past customers and looked up reviews.

i have a car from Vette Doctors in my shop rite now
that im going over and fixing a bunch of **** they
let go.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i find it VERY hard to believe a shop can build an entire motor with quality components, including engine teardown and rebuild for 4k. the labor cost alone for replacement of a short block assembly in an F body, is 24 hours book time and at 100 an hour you can see how expensive it gets at a dealership.
Straight time is a bit different depending on the shop installing it.

i would find a block in good condition that was parted out, find a used crankshaft, make sure everything is in spec from a machine shop and build it using the parts from your old engine.
if all it is is a spun bearing, then technically all you should need to fix it is a crank, gaskets, piston rings, fluids ect. Aside from finding a junkyard engine and hoping it works when you hit the key, to me this is the best fix.

of course buying a completely new long block is the best way to ensure a fix, but also more expensive.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well most labor rates for everything are around $1600-$1900 from low to high and I have called several shops about it. The racing shop with the guy who builds performance motors wants to help me out and knows my situation and seems very knowledgeable. We talked weeks before I had the money saved and we came to this number and now were finally here. He knows my budget and that I am looking to do get back on the road with a stronger motor then what I had previously. He made it clear that his shop builds performance motors only and they don't do stock rebuilds. My concern is we won't know how much its all going to cost until we open her up. He wants to go over a plan before we do anything which I feel is the best way to go about it. I doubt the crank will need to be replaced because they are very durable and I doubt it got damaged due to the car not being used but I could see the cam being damaged before the crank would be. The car still starts but again I havent started her since she started making the sound. I really want to upgrade my pistons/rods which he assured me he can take care of as well. He has full access to a machine shop which is also a big plus. I literally haven't started the car since it started to make the sound so I know I prevented some damage by doing so but whats done is done. I don't just want a stock rebuild anyway I want this car to last and I want more performance while were at it. This is the best time to do this anyway. I see forged motors online for around 2500 and with install I can still meet my budget but I feel that I am better off letting a pro work it piece by piece. He was explaining how much of a benefit it would be to do the heads also but he knows that right now I am on a tight budget and says we can work with what I have to get me back on track and in the future if this all works out I will definitely have him do my heads and really wake the car up.

Vette Doctors seems expensive and to be honest I didn't feel that they really wanted to work with me like this racing shop does. This shop is out far on Long Island and the guy I am working with basically said it like you did. If the damage is just a spun bearing crank/gaskets/rings and fluids should be an easy fix but then he took it up a notch and mentioned throwing in some quality pistons/rods and since we will have it open a cam and springs. If I can accomplish this all for 4k or slightly more with the cam then my dreams just came true especially with labor included. If this all works out this will be a miracle. I'll let you know how it all turns out. I will be talking to him on after the holiday weekend.

If I do have him rebuild it I also want to add a ported oil pump for him to put in the build to prevent any future issues. Any recommendations I saw some good pricing on ebay for HRI ported oil pumps any thoughts on these? (not included in my budget lol)
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm kinda in the same boat.....My LS1 has bad lifter and if it has to be torn down....its going back together with more power.

I don't know where you can find a forged motor for $2500, but after some research, the best bang for the buck I found is this a 425hp LQ9 from Thompson in Texas.....$3500 long block.....assembled with all good parts, Warranty, can upgrade to ported heads in future.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270985680485...84.m1423.l2649

They have short blocks for $2K...but then you have to buy the rest of parts anyway...cam, heads, bla,bla,bla.....so pay me now or later thing.

Most shops in my area are $1000 to R&R an LS1 (I've seen as low as $600)....so a little over your budget at $4,500....

Hope that helps...Good luck

Quick Reply: $4k and a decision to make