General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trans am head lights will not align

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans am head lights will not align

My passenger head light wouldn't pop up since i bought it, and today I put in a new motor. I thought everything was done and I turned the headlights on, and both were up at the same time. Then I turned them off, and the motor I replaced stayed up and the driver side went down. Now every time I turn the headlights on, the new motor pops down and the other side goes up as it should?

I've tried everything I could think of, manually bringing the new motor down so both are down at the same time, unplugging the harness and re-plugging it in etc. The passenger side where the new headlight is, the lamp also is very dark compared to how it was before I swapped motors.

Dud motor? I dont see how it could be as it goes up and down. Any ideas?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Default motor

I had the same problem with two passenger side headlight motors bought from autozone. The problem is they are wired wrong.They have it wired the same as the drivers side and the passenger side motor needs to spin the opposite direction. i forget what color the two wires are that you need to switch. Trace the two wires that are coming from the headlight motor itself up to the plug and switch those two wires. just use a real small flat head like a precision screw driver and pop the 2 wires out and switch them. I had this same problem and i guarantee you once you reverse the two wires it will work correctly. i actually had to replace 3 because once i reversed the wires and re-installed the motor it worked fine for about 5 cycles putting the headlight up and down and then the motor started making the grinding sound. I looked at the motor and it fell apart where they put the new gear in. I was pissed. whenever i need to replace next time i am going to go with a brand new motor. try switching the wires and let us know.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

I also had a Cardone replacement that was wired backwards, but check the motor linkage first. It much more common to have that on wrong, which leads to the same problem. Just watch the two open and close and compare how the linkage moves.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Default headlights

hi, did you get the headlights working
Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the exact same problem. Just switch the polarity of the headlight motor wires and it will work fine

Quick Reply: Trans am head lights will not align