General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fixing this Voltage and Starting problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing this Voltage and Starting problem!!

I've been experiencing some problems with my car lately, i figured u guys would have more knowledge about this than i do so hopefully u can help.

A little background info...The car is a 99Z28. 114K miles. Plugs and wires changed 10k miles ago, new fuel filter added 3 days ago. Also installed 145 amp alternator, new ultima starter, and new red top battery a week ago. My battery and alternator were both tested at Oreilly and Advanced and both failed the test, starter passed but the mount on the starter broke so i replaced it aswell.

I started experiencing extended cranking times when my car would sit over night or sit for a few hours. Would crank for about 3 seconds before it would actually start. Once started i can shut the car off, then restart it and it would fire up immediately.Did this numerous times. I havent experienced any issues when driving the car though, no stalling,bogging,sputters, power loss, nothing, car seems to run fine. I can hear the fuel pump prime, so i'm guessing that its working and I may have a leak somewhere. Any ideas of what to check?

My second problem is that i am experiencing a voltage drop. I noticed my voltage drops only when the car is in drive or reverse and my foot is on the brake. When driving my meter is right at the 13 or a little past it, but when i come to a complete stop and my foot is on the brakes,the voltage drops to 12 volts or the redzone. As soon as i start driving again,the meter goes back up to 13. I also tested this with my multimeter and with my battery at rest and engine off i got a reading of 12.6-12.69 volts, then with the engine running and in park i got a reading of 14.1 with accessories on(lights,radio,ac) up to 14.4 with accessories off.. My mom got in the car and put it in drive and held her foot on the brakes and i got a reading of 12.6. Any ideas of what would cause this?

I should have time this weekend to start troubleshooting these problems. Any help will be appreciated. Never had to deal with these problems with this car until now so im just trying to gather as much info as i can. Thanks or the all the help guys. Any links with similar problems feel free to post!!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Teching In

The slow starts sound to me like the injectors.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be losing fuel pressure at the rail. Turn car to on, let sit for a second or two while fuel pump primes system. Should fire right up. I have this problem on an ls1 car that sits alot.

My camaro does the same voltage drop when I brake/stop. Only after car is warmed up and alt has recharged battery. Dunno what is causing it. Noticed it after battery, starter, alternator replacement a few month ago.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Fuel pressure regulator going bad would leak fuel pressure when sitting most likely. Unless obvious fuel leak/smell is noticeable
Old 09-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Well I had time this weekend to get a gauge and test the fuel pressure. With the key on, I let the pump prime, and I got a reading of around 25 psi. With the engine running I got around 45-48 psi. I havent noticed any leaks anywhere, no fuel smell or anything is noticeable. I did notice that if i prime the pump 2 times the car seems to fire right up. I also cleaned my MAF with crc cleaner and also noticed a big improvement in throttle response and idle as well. Still havent got my voltage problem figured out.

Quick Reply: Fixing this Voltage and Starting problem!!