General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

VSS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:18 PM
LX1
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS Issue

I purchased a 99 SS a while ago and the Speedo has never worked since owning the car. A while ago I discovered that the previous owner did not tighten the engine wiring harness to the computer properly and water got into the connections and rusted the pins out. I replaced the wiring harness and pcm hoping that it would solve my speedo issues. I solved some other issues but not the speedo.

I just got the car back from the shop getting some parts installed and the tech says that all the wires for the vss are good, the sensor itself is working but the issue lies with the reluctor.

Has anyone had a problem with this. They say that the VSS doesn't seem to be getting close enough to the reluctor to get a solid reading. They are getting a reading on their scan tool but the reading is very weak. Are their different sensors available that have different depths?

Last edited by LX1; 10-05-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by LX1
A while ago I discovered that the previous owner did not tighten the engine wiring harness to the computer properly and water got into the connections and rusted the pins out.
Not sure about the specific speedo problem, but GM issued a TSB for the rusting pins, requiring a new gasket every time the connector is disconnected/reconnected.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...onnectors.html
Old 10-06-2013, 02:17 PM
LX1
Staging Lane

Yeah, that seal was twisted which is why water got in. I got new ones for my new harness and all is well on that front.

Back to the vss. The only code throwing is P0500. It is possible the previous owner swapped transmissions at one point? Do different year t-56's have different size reluctors in the tail shaft? This would explain the signal/voltage being too low.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 PM
LX1
Staging Lane

Had speed inc look into this while getting tuned. They came to the same conclusion that the issue was inside the transmission. However, no one has a clue what to do. It appears to be the proper reluctor inside the trans via a snap on camera.

Anyone have any ideas.

Quick Reply: VSS Issue