General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trans Am headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Am headlight issue

So I was driving around tonight and my friend noticed my driver's side headlight was out. I did a little searching for bulbs and figured out I had to actually buy a whole new headlight for the car. However, I also heard about the faulty connecting pins in the headlights and how they corrode so easily. I won't be able to get a better look for a while because I'll be tied up with other things. My question is should I go ahead and order a new pair of headlights (or a single if possible) or should I check the connecting pins? Would the pins be causing the bulb failure in my driver's side light?

Last edited by Almonz T/A; 11-10-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's possible that the pins are the issue if you do drive it in the rain. But if you find out that the bulb has just burned out I would purchase a pair instead of a single. The lights would be different intensities otherwise.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Unless you have previously unplugged the motor, you don't need to worry too much about the pins. (They will just corrode around the areas tha are making good contact.)

If you want, you can swap the right/left side bulbs before you buy. That will tell you if the bulb is bad or not.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Okay guys, thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to go ahead and swap the bulbs to test it out.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Just got the headlight fixed. Biggest PITA ever. Mainly because I lost one of the alignment screws and went all over town to find something similar.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Save the manuals!

Oops. Yea, we all make that mistake. Fortunately it only happens once.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had this problem as well and i just upgraded to the housings off LMC Truck, these housings come with sealed weather connectors, and i just spliced them into my old head light harness. Best thing i ever did for my headlights, good beam pattern as well.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
I have had this problem as well and i just upgraded to the housings off LMC Truck, these housings come with sealed weather connectors, and i just spliced them into my old head light harness. Best thing i ever did for my headlights, good beam pattern as well.
These are great and I have them as well, but they don't solve the problem we were talking about above. Its not the pins on the bulb, its the pins on the motor connector, which the bulb wires also go through. The new housings will require a new bulb connector, but the motor connector remains.

Last edited by wssix99; 11-11-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Launching!

I have an issue too.. so sometimes when I put my headlight on, then I get home turn them off the driver side headlight will stay up. if I turn the lights on and off a few times it will go down.. the other day it did it again and it stayed up over night in the morning i turned the lights on and off again and it went down. any help? I love trans am's but I hate these headlights..the guy I bought the car from told me he put brass gears in them.

Last edited by BrainFreezE; 11-11-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
These are treat and I have them as well, but they don't solve the problem we were talking about above. Its not the pins on the bulb, its the pins on the motor connector, which the bulb wires also go through. The new housings will require a new bulb connector, but the motor connector remains.
Oh didnt catch that, thanks. I replaced both motors and headlights at the same time, and installed brass gears. No more headlight issues for me. I also went with new connectors from Rock Auto. That inline 5 connector was just a shitty design
Old 11-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
That inline 5 connector was just a shitty design
It is pretty bad for the location. I've always wondered what the real issue is. There are lots of other connectors in the engine bay of the same design (seals & terminals) but they don't have similar issues. Maybe its due to the additional weather exposure in that location. (inside the bumper)

What type of connector did you replace it with? Any signs of water intrusion in the new connector? I had a bad batch of motors and had to replace some of the wiring and terminals. That would have been a great opportunity to upgrade the connector.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Launching!

I have an issue too.. so sometimes when I put my headlight on, then I get home turn them off the driver side headlight will stay up. if I turn the lights on and off a few times it will go down.. the other day it did it again and it stayed up over night in the morning i turned the lights on and off again and it went down. any help? I love trans am's but I hate these headlights..the guy I bought the car from told me he put brass gears in them.
bump?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by BrainFreezE
bump?
You should start your own thread because your brass gears could be stripped. (Very different issue.)

Quick Reply: Trans Am headlight issue