General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear suspension squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension squeaks

Just got my used 2002 le convertible 25k miles ,there is a squeak in rear suspension that is driving me crazy!
I just replaced the shocks which were shot ,squeak still there!
I will try stabilizer end link bushings
There r bushings where the sta bar mounts to rear axle could these be the problem?
Or something else ,it's seems hard to pinpoint!
I'm hoping its a common problem that someone hear might say ,O yeah I know what it is! My neighbor has a 2000 trans am ws6 same squeak No answers!
Thanks for the anticipated help!
Bob
Old 11-12-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

sounds like LCA,panhard bar,and/or those sway bar bushings need lube.
crawl under the rear of the car and have someone push up and down and you'll be able to feel a vibration at the culprit(s) bushing(s).
Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

if it does it on speed bumps and dips... its the rear sway bar bushings! your OE lca will clunk more than squeek
simple fix... you will need 13mm socket or combo wrench and some grease and about 10min.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Both my trans AMA do this. Never knew how to stop it. Thank you
Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i had all my bushings replaced. noises went away.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
if it does it on speed bumps and dips... its the rear sway bar bushings! your OE lca will clunk more than squeek
simple fix... you will need 13mm socket or combo wrench and some grease and about 10min.
This! mine has the same infamous squeek. Im going to replace my LCAs this weekend and going to do this too

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i had all my bushings replaced. noises went away.
I will do this later... haha
Old 11-13-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

I used the Permatex Anti-seize (the silvery messy stuff) many years ago and no squeaks yet.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's hard to narrow down a squeak back there. The end links, sway bar bushings, and lca bushings can all be culprits. Super lube synthetic grease and/or Teflon tape are both excellent for stopping squeaks. I use them both and, while it may be overkill, it certainly keeps bushings in questionable shape from embarrassing you when you drive over the smallest crack in the road. I just did end links last week. Ended up replacing them and adding the tape and grease for peace of mind. Even the smallest noise drives me insane and Id rather do it right the first time. Next on my list are new rear lca bushings, which literally fall out when taken off... *sigh* Good luck.

Last edited by sawblade99Z; 11-13-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know how anti-seize would affect the rubber bushings over time, but if you used crc brake caliper grease that is rubber safe and similar to anti-seize and won't ever wash away.
if you have a jack or ramps and can get under there it's pretty easy to undo each thing and wipe with some lacquer to clean then apply the grease and reinstall.

i know these 3 things are what's most likely causing your squeaks,
- the two rear sway bar D bushings that hold the bar to the bottom of the rear axle.
undo one at a time, clean & grease. there should be a little sock around the bar inside the D bushing but those rot over time, remove it and just use grease.
- each lower control arm, undo one side clean of an LCA clean and grease. then the other side, then the LCA on the other side of car
- the panhard bar, same deal one side of the bar at a time.

the other thing that may cause it are the springs where they contact the perch on the rear axle. it's metal to metal contact and while unlikely that can make noise.

Quick Reply: Rear suspension squeaks