General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car acting... strange.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car acting... strange.

I'll (try to) be brief. My IAC I believed was acting up, hanging idle, revs dropping real fast during shifting, idle fluctuating at a stop (drop, rise, steady), etc. Lately however it seemed to be getting better. Before all this I wasn't sure if my MAF was acting up and not throwing a code so I'd unplug the car and drive it, and it drove DREADFUL (I hear others saying their cars drive better when unplugging MAF, thereby narrowing down issues). What's odd is that unplugged, didn't get an SES code no matter how long I drove with it unplugged. Fast forward to this weekend, new IAC is on, and on startup the car revs to about 1500 and slowly comes down. Never did that before. So I pulled the plugs on the IAC/TPS and key on for five seconds to reset, see if anything changed. Unplugged the MAF to see how it idled (don't know why), and now I'm getting an SES for the MAF, where before I never did, no matter what. Why would I all of a sudden be getting a code for the MAF sensor? (BTW, when I started it up with the MAF unplugged, no surge at startup...) Have not unplugged my battery lately, not sure if that's relevant. Thanks

-J
Old 11-18-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the old IAC back on the car and all the issues went away (codes were P0102 and P0122). Turns out it both wasn't bad, and the one I got must have been bad straight out of the box. Annoying, but at least the car doesn't want to take off upon initial startup. I am confused why I got a TPS code when all I did was unplug the MAF, but I'm inclined not to overthink this...

-J

Quick Reply: Car acting... strange.