LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance & Repairs (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs-102/)
-   -   Firebird revving on its own (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/1689667-firebird-revving-its-own.html)

jjeckelxz5 11-18-2013 09:51 AM

Firebird revving on its own

I noticed my car seems to be idling high and even revving without touching the gas pedal. If I take my foot off the brake the car will rev up to about 2300 RPMs and shift into second without touching the gas.

The car is 97 firebird with an LS1. I just got it about a month ago, so I'm still learning what the previous owner has done with it and what's wrong with it. I just replaced all the stock audio components yesterday, could I of done something wrong that would cause this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jjeckelxz5 11-18-2013 02:48 PM

So I just tried to start the car and will not crank. The lights turn on on the dash and the radio is working but the car won't crank at all. Any ideas?

anotherreject04 11-20-2013 12:34 AM

Is the security light on when you try to start it ?

Jellyfish Prototype 11-20-2013 11:11 AM

I had a 95 with similar symptoms. The problem in mine was the circuit board under the coil packs was shot. Every time I went to change gears my engine would rev up during shifts and while it was just sitting. I went to auto zone and they had a machine to check it after I finally figured it out. Mine wouldn't start either like yours. I would get that circuit board checked. You have to take it out and take it to wherever to get it checked so you don't need the car there when they check it. Hope it helps!

dailydriver 11-20-2013 05:18 PM

^^^You did a coil pack conversion/Optispark delete to your LT1, or was it an LS1 transplant??

Jellyfish Prototype 11-20-2013 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by dailydriver (Post 17837668)
^^^You did a coil pack conversion/Optispark delete to your LT1, or was it an LS1 transplant??

Im not sure what that is. I bought a new circuit board and put it in it after the old one was found to be bad.

eseibel67 11-20-2013 08:39 PM

No crank could be anything, especially on a transplant. See if you get power on the purple wire at the starter and work backwards from there.

The "circuit board under the coil packs" sounds like the ignition control module on a V6.

dailydriver 11-21-2013 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jellyfish Prototype (Post 17837881)
Im not sure what that is. I bought a new circuit board and put it in it after the old one was found to be bad.

If you had a '95 V-8 f body, it had an LT1, which uses the OptiSpark distributor system, NOT individual coil packs like an LS1, UNLESS you did a conversion to the coil packs with one of the aftermarket systems available, or swapped the LT1 for an LS1/x. ;)

Jellyfish Prototype 11-21-2013 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by dailydriver (Post 17840192)

If you had a '95 V-8 f body, it had an LT1, which uses the OptiSpark distributor system, NOT individual coil packs like an LS1, UNLESS you did a conversion to the coil packs with one of the aftermarket systems available, or swapped the LT1 for an LS1/x. ;)

Ohhhh. I dunno. It was like that when I bought it. So I guess the owner before swapped it. I never knew that, that's pretty awesome!