General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Firebird revving on its own

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird revving on its own

I noticed my car seems to be idling high and even revving without touching the gas pedal. If I take my foot off the brake the car will rev up to about 2300 RPMs and shift into second without touching the gas.

The car is 97 firebird with an LS1. I just got it about a month ago, so I'm still learning what the previous owner has done with it and what's wrong with it. I just replaced all the stock audio components yesterday, could I of done something wrong that would cause this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 02:48 PM

So I just tried to start the car and will not crank. The lights turn on on the dash and the radio is working but the car won't crank at all. Any ideas?
Old 11-20-2013, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the security light on when you try to start it ?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Teching In

I had a 95 with similar symptoms. The problem in mine was the circuit board under the coil packs was shot. Every time I went to change gears my engine would rev up during shifts and while it was just sitting. I went to auto zone and they had a machine to check it after I finally figured it out. Mine wouldn't start either like yours. I would get that circuit board checked. You have to take it out and take it to wherever to get it checked so you don't need the car there when they check it. Hope it helps!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

^^^You did a coil pack conversion/Optispark delete to your LT1, or was it an LS1 transplant??
Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dailydriver
^^^You did a coil pack conversion/Optispark delete to your LT1, or was it an LS1 transplant??
Im not sure what that is. I bought a new circuit board and put it in it after the old one was found to be bad.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No crank could be anything, especially on a transplant. See if you get power on the purple wire at the starter and work backwards from there.

The "circuit board under the coil packs" sounds like the ignition control module on a V6.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jellyfish Prototype
Im not sure what that is. I bought a new circuit board and put it in it after the old one was found to be bad.
If you had a '95 V-8 f body, it had an LT1, which uses the OptiSpark distributor system, NOT individual coil packs like an LS1, UNLESS you did a conversion to the coil packs with one of the aftermarket systems available, or swapped the LT1 for an LS1/x.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dailydriver

If you had a '95 V-8 f body, it had an LT1, which uses the OptiSpark distributor system, NOT individual coil packs like an LS1, UNLESS you did a conversion to the coil packs with one of the aftermarket systems available, or swapped the LT1 for an LS1/x.
Ohhhh. I dunno. It was like that when I bought it. So I guess the owner before swapped it. I never knew that, that's pretty awesome!

Quick Reply: Firebird revving on its own