General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Aligning stock K member

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aligning stock K member

I had to replace my oil pan gasket a while back and loosened up the K member to get the pan out. When I bolted it back up I couldn't get it back exactly where it was. I'm going to be doing some front end work soon and want to try and get it right because I'm pretty sure it's still slightly off. I've read about there being dowel pins- where exactly are they? I don't recall seeing them. Any other tips/tricks to getting the K member back where it's supposed to be? Is there anything else I need to loosen up besides the 6 bolts?
Old 11-30-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Ordered the parts today. Any ideas before I tear into it?
Old 11-30-2013, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

there's 2 alignment pins, 1 on each side of the k-member that fit into the 2 corresponding holes on the body. there is 3 bolts on each side to hold the k-member in place.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

No aligning it. As long as the dowels line up it's correct. I've had a few cars that have been severely wrecked through the years where I've had to slot the subframe bolts in order for me to get enough adjustment to do a front end alignment but providing yours is not in that category of wrecked you slide it in and out and no alignment necessary.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

I know the subframe is good. My buddy was in autobody school when he painted it so he put it on the frame rack and checked it just to do it. I think part of the problem I may have had trying to get it in straight before was because the exhaust was still hooked up. I'm going to disconnect it this time. Just got done with the tie rods and wheel hubs so going to mess with the K member now.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

All right found the alignment pins. It's a lot easier to see through the wheelwell. They're definitely in now. Hopefully the tire shop can align it better now.

Quick Reply: Aligning stock K member