General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

***HELP***Power Steering Leak***

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***HELP***Power Steering Leak***

Hi guys, I had a big leak 2 days ago from my car, it was a red/orange oil and seemed to came from the Power Steering area on the bottom, now unfortunately I'm not an amazing mechanic so here's my questions:

1. I'm gonna go buy PS fluid, pour it and turn the wheels left and right, while my dad looks at it with flash lights to see where the leak is occurring.

Am I doing a correct procedure to find the source of the problem? Or any other easier way?

From my several hours of searching apparently the High Side Pressure PS hose is a common problem.

Also, if I were to do my test(stated above), should I pour in some leak stop? I hear good things about the Lucas brand, any opinions and thought and help would be greatly appreciated as I am a pretty big noob and appreciate all the help I can get
Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Top it off and turn the wheels like you said......that should reveal the leak. You might want to let it get hot too......just so things can expand and act normally.

I would do a GUNK foam engine cleaner of the entire system and lines......then rinse with hose water and let it dry a little bit. Then do your leak check.......

It'll be easier to spot it when everything is clean.

.....I personally wouldn't do stop leak. That high pressure hose is cheap and takes like 15 min to replace....if that's the issue. The other line....even easier to change.

Last edited by LS6427; 12-05-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just HOPE that it is NOT the rack seals, where mine is leaking, necessitating a whole new/remanned rack.

BIG, expensive (stealership/shop), or MAJOR PIA (DIY), job.

Quick Reply: ***HELP***Power Steering Leak***