General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

OBDII codes P0302 & P0410

Old 01-05-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII codes P0302 & P0410

A little help please.
I don't want to start throwing parts at the Bird without advice from the people who know them best.

2002 CETA Automatic.
22800 miles

Had to make her my DD last week and while driving to work in the rain the check engine light reared it's ugly head and my girl started stumbling.

Ran it to O'Rielly's after work and had the codes read.

If I remember correctly, I had this issue the day I bought the car also. Was raining like a bitch (hurricane season here in FL), I was following her while my wife was taking her home for the first time. Being new owners we took her to the stealership and got raped. I'd have to go hunt up the service order to tell you exactly what they did. All I remember for sure is they said they changed the plugs.

Any advice here would be appreciated. O'Rielly's guy showed me a paragraph on his phone while pulling up the codes that said something about water in the egr valve.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P0302 is a cylinder misfire detected on cylinder #2.
P0410 is the secondary air injection system has a problem.
P0415/6 are the codes when the air check valves on top of the engine have failed, they are connected on a metal pipe off the exhaust manifold and are fairly easy to replace. you'll need a large pipe wrench and leverage because the oem ones are on there tight, if i remember i removed the pipe off the exhaust manifold so i wouldn't break it then undid the check valve from the pipe.
I used to get P0415 and P0416 and it was funny because it seemed to happen when it was raining out. but P0410 means something wrong with the AIR pump itself

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0410
http://acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/tsb/tsb_04D-183.pdf

most likely P0410 is causing P0302, so fix the AIR pump stuff then clear the codes and see how you do. and it's common for rain water to mess up the air pump, so whoever messes with it also double check you're not missing any plastic shielding down there and nothing is messed up where it's directing rain at the pump when you're driving.

not sure at your mileage if you need to replace the air check valves, doing so certainly won't hurt but i doubt that would fix P0410. here are those part #'s last i knew, and they aren't that expensive.
GP sorenson valve, duralast #E204, oem #779-2929
current autozone part number = 555050, "air pump check valve"
Old 01-05-2014, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
P0302 is a cylinder misfire detected on cylinder #2.
P0410 is the secondary air injection system has a problem.
P0415/6 are the codes when the air check valves on top of the engine have failed, they are connected on a metal pipe off the exhaust manifold and are fairly easy to replace. you'll need a large pipe wrench and leverage because the oem ones are on there tight, if i remember i removed the pipe off the exhaust manifold so i wouldn't break it then undid the check valve from the pipe.
I used to get P0415 and P0416 and it was funny because it seemed to happen when it was raining out. but P0410 means something wrong with the AIR pump itself

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0410
http://acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/tsb/tsb_04D-183.pdf

most likely P0410 is causing P0302, so fix the AIR pump stuff then clear the codes and see how you do. and it's common for rain water to mess up the air pump, so whoever messes with it also double check you're not missing any plastic shielding down there and nothing is messed up where it's directing rain at the pump when you're driving.

not sure at your mileage if you need to replace the air check valves, doing so certainly won't hurt but i doubt that would fix P0410. here are those part #'s last i knew, and they aren't that expensive.
GP sorenson valve, duralast #E204, oem #779-2929
current autozone part number = 555050, "air pump check valve"
Bam, nailed it. Also had the 04I have a scan gauge in the car, cleared it a few times still runs great
Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 AM

The first link mentions a "popped" fuse in the description.
Where would I find this fuse?
If I locate it and it's blown, I could replace it. That might be a temp fix until I can do the air pump. Working all day on the son's Cherokee. To much broke stuff around here to jump on that immediately. Have to make the Jeep run so he can get to school in the morning.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Fuse box will be in the engine bay on drivers side and they will be labeled on the top of the box. Fuse for the AIR pump is 25 amps iirc. It could also be a bad relay as well, might want to check that as well.

I was getting the same code, new fuse and relay did nothing. What was causing it was a short in the air pump motor. Like the other guys said they don't like moisture. So I ended up just ripping that **** out of mine, and the EGR as well and am getting the cel tuned out.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 AM

30 amp Air Pump fuse is good. Ill take the relay and get it tested. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBDII codes P0302 & P0410