General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear end noise

My 2000 WS6 has a rear end noise when I turn left. It kind of sounds like marbles on metal. There is play in the axles, but the noise makes me think differential. If I just need axle bearings, I am fine spending $300ish to repair them, but if the differential needs work, I should probably get a beefier rear while I am at it. Any similar experiences?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:56 AM
Launching!

300! thats alot of $$$ DIY and get all your parts from rockauto. I had the same issue maybe not as loud but I can defintely hear it going over bumps . I had it inspected at 2 different shops and they all said wheel bearing I replaced both sides and an axel just to be safe ....noise is still their. Ive checked rear trailing arm bushings and panard bar and sway bar bushings even though their original their still good ....my car is sitting a little low on the right rear side so it might be that the shock has given out and is bouncing around.....try looking at your shock assemblies ...but maybe im wrong
Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Teching In

I was estimating the cost of the axle bearings. I don't have a lot of spare time right now so I probably would have it done. The shocks are an interesting thought although I don't notice noise when I hit a bump. It is mainly when turning left on smooth surfaces.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Launching!

it only took me and a buddy 4 hrs ....ofc this was the first time ive ever done anything with a rear diff .....so i was very meticulous
Old 02-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Factory wheels????? Check to make sure the wheels are seated on the hubs correctly. My factory wheels fit so tight on the center section of the hub that if someone isn't careful putting them on they don't seat right and make noise. Add a little grease to the center section of the hub that sticks out and make sure wheel is seated evenly on hub. My custom wheels don't do this just the factory ones.

Quick Reply: rear end noise