General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rough running/misfire, only at a specific time

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough running/misfire, only at a specific time

Hello everyone, so I've been part of the forums for a while, and most issues I have had they've been covered, but this is a hard one to explain.

I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 LS1 6spd, 78k on the clock. The car fouls out its bank 1 o2 sensor quite often so normally I would go there, but this is after a recent change of the o2 sensor last month.

The car runs perfectly fine, no check engine lights when the car is cold, like when its been sitting overnight and you haven't touched it in a while. And you can drive it hours with no issues. Recently, what I've found is if I start the car, and drive, and say go to get gas, or a coffee, I get back in the car, and it will barely move because it runs so rough. And this will continue until the car is cooled down entirely. Then the car will run as if nothing was wrong with it.

I just replaced the spark plugs, wires, and did the o2 sensor a month ago. This misfiring only occurs if you turn the car off after its been on, even if the car is not even warmed up all the way.

If anyone has any insight, and can help me where to look, that would be awesome, as I'm completely lost right now as to why the car is doing this.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeez man.....if you are burning up 02 sensors in just a couple months.....I would say you have a PCM problem.

Get a scan with an OBDII scanner while the engine is running and up to operating temp.....and by someone who knows what they are looking at to read it all properly.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Does your coolant temperature gauge read normally when this happens?
Old 02-15-2014, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thels1mary
The car runs perfectly fine, no check engine lights when the car is cold, like when its been sitting overnight and you haven't touched it in a while. And you can drive it hours with no issues. Recently, what I've found is if I start the car, and drive, and say go to get gas, or a coffee, I get back in the car, and it will barely move because it runs so rough. And this will continue until the car is cooled down entirely. Then the car will run as if nothing was wrong with it.
From first hand experience, I can tell you right off the bat that what you're experiencing is indicative of the O2 sensor. Either the sensor has gone bad or somewhere around its assembly is interfering with the computer accurately picking up the sensor readings. To identify the offending bank and sensor, hook up a live diagnostic computer such as the one pictured below. A properly functioning sensor will continually alternate in its voltage, as it attempts to constantly match the air with the fuel mixture, but a malfunctioning one will show a non-alternating voltage (just think flatline). As you can see, three of my sensors were fowled, causing rough idling and inconsistent throttle response. Once replaced, the problem was gone. But keep in mind also that even if all your sensors check out, there still may be corrosion and whatnot that's causing a poor connectivity from one or more of the connectors, so a helpful thing to remember is that whenever you're changing out an O2 sensor, always have the connectors freshened up to avoid any hassle.

These computers cost over $1k, so unless you have one, the best option is to stop by Pep Boys or anywhere else where you can use one of these for just a few minutes.

Oh, and by the way, DO NOT use WD-40 or any other lubricant while working near the O2 sensors!

Quick Reply: Rough running/misfire, only at a specific time