General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WOT issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WOT issues

this is long but i need help so please stick with me lol

hello all, i have a 2000 firehawk, stock with a lid, long tubes and catback that i think is having either a throttle cable issue or a transmission issue. the backstory is i picked this firehawk up the other day, its my 3rd f body so im pretty used to how they are supposed to launch and feel, and this one doesnt really do much of that and ill describe. first off when i got it it had an extra spring attached to the the arm on the throttle body that went to the lid, just made it harder to open and stiffer feel of the gas pedal. so i removed the spring. the car itself drives fine without stumbling or any issues, idles a little low, sitting in park idle is 520 and sitting in drive idle is 650. flooring it from a dead stop in OD feels like launching in 3rd gear, no put you in your seat feeling and car feels like its down 150hp. and while cruising at any speed, say 60mph even, when i floor it it just accelerates from its current gear and doesnt downshift, if im going faster say 70-80 and floor it it does seem to downshift 1 gear and go from there but very poor acceleration for an f body, would have been better if it downshifted 2 stages. another thing i noticed is with my other f bodys, cruising at say 45-50 or 60 even i could double tap the gas pedal and it would downshift 2 gears and punch it, with nice hard acceleration, whereas with this firehawk double tap does nothing. just continues on in its current gear. and dig launches as i mentioned above feel really slow like its not in first at all. as result the car isnt really that fast and theres an issue somewhere. another thing i noticed is if im cruising at 45-50 and manually downshift it to 2nd from OD and punch it it feels exactly like it should, just i had to manually do it. however if i downshift into 1st manually from 40 or so and punch it, nothing, again it feels like 3rd gear or like its still in OD. almost like 1st gear isnt there lol. from a dig, i can shift it into first manually and punch it and again, feels like 3rd, just slow acceleration for what it should be, not even close to spinning the tires from a launch or anything. i did notice as well that from a dig, manually in 1st, if i went to WOT the car would not upshift, would just keep going till redline and i would shift it to 2nd, nothing, 3rd, nothing. only OD would shift it. however if i was cruising and downshifted manually to 3rd or 2nd and went to WOT i could still upshift. i replaced the TPS with a new one so its not that. i did notice that i could fully depress the pedal and the arm was about a 1/2 inch away from the bump stop so i know the TB wasnt fully open, i shortend the cable on the TB arm just a little bit and now fully depressing the pedal brings it within a centimeter of the bump stop and the car idles much better, almost too high actually. but still no change on the downshifting and performance. also another thing to mention when rolling to a stop in OD with the brakes the trans "jolts" usually right before i stop when its downshifting back to first. can feel it more than i should and the car lunges a little bit because of it. never felt that before on any of my previous F bodys.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
i have a 2000 firehawk, stock with a lid
The problem is probably the air filter under that lid.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try cleaning the maf with maf cleaner while car have a friend floor the pedal and u see if the throttle body is fully opening..
and if u haven't done plugs wire that be good too
Old 02-21-2014, 09:31 PM
o2k
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on your issue?
Old 02-22-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by o2k
Any updates on your issue?
yes it was the cable that wasnt adjusted correctly. the car drives normal now as it should with the regular power. trans is slipping and needs to be replaced though

Quick Reply: WOT issues