General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trunk latch problem

Old 02-19-2014, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trunk latch problem

Hi everyone,

A search didn't give me a satisfactory answer, so here goes...

'00 Z28, hatch won't "pop" open. In fact, when hitting the button or using the key it will not lift at all. If I press the button, I can hear the mechanism make that sort of squeak noise. If I use the key, I can lift the hatch open. I have the additional spring on it. I tried replacing that spring in case that was the issue, but it still won't open. I replaced the struts a couple years ago, and once I pull the hatch up after using the key, the hatch opens quite easily. My guess is the actuator is the problem. I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a replacement though, new or used.

One thing I also tried was opening the hatch, then I closed the latch. I turned the key, but the latch didn't move open on its own, I had to push it open.....not sure if that is normal or not.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The struts help a lot. They are gas charged and when its cold, the gas inside compresses and they aren't as powerful. If one of your new ones isn't as fresh as it was new, that plus the cold weather might be the issue.

Once you open the hatch a little bit and the struts get "over the hump," everything is probably fine, right?
Old 02-19-2014, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

when in doubt....spray a little wd-40.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wssix99
The struts help a lot. They are gas charged and when its cold, the gas inside compresses and they aren't as powerful. If one of your new ones isn't as fresh as it was new, that plus the cold weather might be the issue.

Once you open the hatch a little bit and the struts get "over the hump," everything is probably fine, right?
Yes, but the problem is the hatch doesn't open even a little bit. I have to jam my fingers under the lip and pull up. I don't imagine even totally worn struts would cause that. When my original struts wore out, the hatch still "popped" up when pressing the remote button, the in car button, or using the key. It was a just a b**** to open the hatch once it was unlatched.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by BBYZED
Yes, but the problem is the hatch doesn't open even a little bit. I have to jam my fingers under the lip and pull up. I don't imagine even totally worn struts would cause that. When my original struts wore out, the hatch still "popped" up when pressing the remote button, the in car button, or using the key. It was a just a b**** to open the hatch once it was unlatched.
The same thing is happening on my car and its gotten worse as my struts have aged. You have to pull up while you turn the key or hit the remote button to unlatch, right? I have not installed a helper spring on my latch, though. I wonder if the additional spring you put on is sprung? A lot of the ones I see for sale in hardware stores aren't high quality.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spring popped entirely out of my latch and it still functions. I have to press the release button 2-3 times to get it to "pop" though.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:23 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by fruitsalad
The spring popped entirely out of my latch and it still functions. I have to press the release button 2-3 times to get it to "pop" though.
Your struts might be doing the work, then. The struts stay happy where there is warm weather, but really lay down on the job for us in the cold areas of the country.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you sure the spring you replaced is strong enough? You really have to muscle it on.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

my hatch does the same thing.. have to press the button a few times for the latch to release the hatch fully... its quite annoying

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trunk latch problem