General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cracked heater box in engine bay

Old 05-13-2014, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightbulb Cracked heater box in engine bay

While installing my Heads today the rear passenger bolt +3"extension+breaker bar combo proved too large and When I went to torque it down I heard a crunch as the breaker bar cracked the heater box housing. What To Do?
After a quick search I see two old posts from 2011. Am I doing this right? to revive the zombie or create a new post

So, one thread said have a professional "weld" the plastic. Another epoxy. After brainstorming with a friend I have a solution. Self stick flashing. This is something I have around the house after our roof was recently redone.

Plan A was fiberglass, but too much work and then its ugly. Plan B Black duct tape, less obvious and easier repair, yet temporary at best. Finally Plan C seems best this product is 8in wide essentially aluminum with a 3/16ths tar like backing. I would compare it to dynamatt.

Pros: Aluminum = heat resistant, Tar/tape= easy application, 8"width= probably a nice factory upgrade look when completed.
Cons: not proper factory replacement fix. (but have you seen the shape of this damn thing, it is said the whole dash must be removed to replace it)

And so I ask you ls1techies what'chyea think?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

For those who want a link to the product here is depo's description. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibraltar...2?N=5yc1vZaqp7
Old 05-30-2014, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

bump for input
Old 06-04-2014, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Am I really the only one out there? :tear:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked heater box in engine bay