General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ac compressor leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the drier part number. Rockauto has the best price on the acdelco brand. Its on my cart now, along with the compressor (1520730)

Anything else i need to replace while im at it?? I read something about an expansion valve/orifice tube. Do i need that?

Thanks again for the help
Old 06-22-2015, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Orifice tube should be replaced as well. Most any quality distributor selling a new compressor won't offer a decent guarantee unless you replace the the orifice tube and the LP line/receiver drier assembly, as well as performing a proper system flush. Had the same problem with my compressor casing seal leaking 2 years ago. Decided that it was already a 13 yr old compressor so why mess with a rebuild/reman/etc. that might not even last 1-2 years. Bought a new Delphi unit on line from a leading AC parts supplier. Typical prices for the LP line assembly are around $25-$55. At $3-$5 the orifice-expansion valve/strainer is a no brainer. Even after replacing the LP line, orifice, and compressor there was still a leak in my HP line tubing ($70) that was not seen the first time.

Rock Auto may or may not have the best prices for 4 Seasons compressor kits. But if you want the AC Delco, Delphi, or Denso, it's another $100 or more. They offer those too. The Delphi unit was the original one in my car so that's what I went with even if it ran another $100 above the cost of a 4 Seasons compressor. I want another 13 years of use. I got my parts online from AC Discount Parts.com. OEM compressor (60-00980 NC) price appear about $20 less than Rock Auto. But their prices on the LP line are about $35 higher. You get an approx $85 discount if you order a complete 3 piece compressor kit from ACDP. I know I looked for a few days on line for the best price before deciding. But it looks like these guys are somewhat comparable and likely either one would beat the other guy's best price. Fwiw ACDP list prices are now about $70 cheaper than when I bought my unit 2 years ago. Found it interesting that Rock Auto offers a 2 year warranty on their cheaper Four Seasons kit. ACDP only offered me a 1 yr on the higher priced Delphi unit. I'd push them for the 2 yr warranty if you ordered an AC Delco or Delphi compressor. I don't know if Delphi or AC Delco sub-out the building of their units to the same companies that build the cheaper brands.

COMPRESSOR WARRANTY NOTE: If the A/C system or the vehicle is five years or older, ACDelco requires a system flush and proof of purchase of an orifice tube or expansion valve for an A/C Compressor warranty to be valid. ....Even so, I think the parts distributors are even tighter requiring the LP line as well.

Last edited by Firebrian; 06-22-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Figured I'd add to this instead of making my own thread.

Discount AC parts sells the non OEM kit which is $255 part number 60-80191 RK, but if you want to swap in the OEM Delco compressor then the kit price jumps to $370

Rock auto has the 4 seasons kit TSN1874 for $239 and the GPD kit for $186. Don't think I want to try my luck with the GPD kit.

Is this something that I want to spend the $370 on because the other non OEM kits have been prone to failure, or do we find that the aftermarket kits hold up very well and it's not worth spending the extra $125?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Figured I'd add to this instead of making my own thread.

Discount AC parts sells the non OEM kit which is $255 part number 60-80191 RK, but if you want to swap in the OEM Delco compressor then the kit price jumps to $370

Rock auto has the 4 seasons kit TSN1874 for $239 and the GPD kit for $186. Don't think I want to try my luck with the GPD kit.

Is this something that I want to spend the $370 on because the other non OEM kits have been prone to failure, or do we find that the aftermarket kits hold up very well and it's not worth spending the extra $125?
When I was buying my Delphi replacement kit on-line I asked them that exact question. Which would last longer? Which has the better repair history? How many warranty repairs do you get on the 4 Seasons kits? And of course I didn't get the info I was looking for...and no doubt they have it. They steadfastly stood by their less expensive kit at the $250-$275 range because it's what they sell the most of and know the best. And they put their name behind that kit. They even gave a longer warranty for that than they did the Delphi. And they told me there was no real difference in those kits...just the names on them and the price. I still decided to go with the OEM name on that compressor...and paid the extra $100. After all, it did work for 13 years on my car.

Then again, Delphi quality from 1999 may be world's apart from the same "brand name" today...all dependent on where they are actually built and how good the parts and labor are. Remans I wouldn't touch....unless you're capable of doing 100% of the work.

Quick Reply: ac compressor leaking