General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

weird problem. high idle with a/c OFF

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default weird problem. high idle with a/c OFF

Had the throttle body off so I cleaned it. Now I have a high idle when the a/c is off. With a/c on it's close to normal but does take a second to drop all the way down. With a/c off it takes longer to come close to normal, gets down to 650 normal is 550, but with the a/c off as soon as I take my foot off the brake the idle jumps up to 1000 and stays there until I come to a complete stop for a few seconds. Only with the a/c off. With the a/c on it doesn't jump up, it behaves normally.

I've replaced the IAC Valve and tried several pcm and iac resets. Also driven the car close to 100 miles to try to let it re-learn. Checked for vacuum leaks and the pcv system is new and has no leaks.

Any ideas? Don't have access to a scan tool either. I'm at the point where I'm gonna make an appointment to have the dealer reflash it if I can't figure this out soon. Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the iac valve out and push the plunger all the way down then reinstall, reset your pcm by pulling the pcm battery fuse for 10 minutes. I had a problem like yours after cleaning my throttle body also.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried that and still ding the same thing. Is there some sort of sensor that sends a signal to the cpu telling it when the a/c is on or off. It's like it thinks the ac is on when it isn't so it increases the rpm's.

Even if that's the case though you'd think my rpms would then jump up when the compressor isn't cycling but it doesn't do that. With a/c on it's really close to normal.

With a//c off i'm idling at 39 mph. If I shift it out of overdrive and into drive the rpms jump up even more and it holds the speed at 39mph.

Quick Reply: weird problem. high idle with a/c OFF