General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight gear finally stripped...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight gear finally stripped...

12 years, and I finally had a headlight motor gear strip out. Flipping the gear just made it grind going up (and only open halfway) instead of grinding going down. Ordered the rebuild kit with the T-brace...hope it gets here this week so I can pass inspection!

No point to this post...other than me venting.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did you order the metal gear from?
Old 09-06-2014, 02:10 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shane
12 years, and I finally had a headlight motor gear strip out. Flipping the gear just made it grind going up (and only open halfway) instead of grinding going down. Ordered the rebuild kit with the T-brace...hope it gets here this week so I can pass inspection!

Wow, 12 years is pretty impressive! Don't forget to make sure that the motor is tightly connected to the housing by bending the tabs. I forgot to do this and chewed up my brand new gear and had to pull it all back apart and repeat with another new gear...
Old 09-06-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks big_g - the one that failed definitely had a loose connection between the motor and the housing.!

anotherreject - I ordered the Rodney Dickman kit.

Got it all pulled apart yesterday...let the epoxy dry overnight, and putting it all back together this morning...
Old 09-06-2014, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This just happened to me this weekend. Headlight is getting stuck halfway up. Happy it lasted this long. Hopefully the repair goes off without any problems.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

anotherreject - I ordered the Rodney Dickman kit.

Got it all pulled apart yesterday...let the epoxy dry overnight, and putting it all back together this morning...
Been rocking this kit for 2 years now without a problem, I didn't bother to let them sit overnight (couldn't as it's a daily driver) but I did wait the time speced for the epoxy to dry before reinstalling then waited till it actually got dark out that night before raising them for the first time.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Went back together well, no issues during the install. I went ahead and did both sides just in case. Hope they last another 12 years.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Teching In

In the same boat as you, my stock passenger side one just took a crap on my '98, 16 years. Driver side only lasted 3-4 years. Crazy how one can last so long and the other crap so quickly.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Last week my passenger headlight went down and just started making this really bad noise but it is still going up and down without a problem....Can anyone point me in the right direction it only does it going down...but the problem is now when i set my alarm or use it to unlock my door the headlights go up and then down and make that noise!! they have never done this before until it started making that racket!!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ravens2000TransAm
Last week my passenger headlight went down and just started making this really bad noise but it is still going up and down without a problem....Can anyone point me in the right direction it only does it going down...but the problem is now when i set my alarm or use it to unlock my door the headlights go up and then down and make that noise!! they have never done this before until it started making that racket!!
thats how mine started, start with the 180* fix first and if that solves your problem your good, if not its time for new gears, for me the 180* fix just moved the grinding from lowering to raising and I had to manually lift the light the last inch or two till it locked in place, but it depends on how bad the grinding is.

Quick Reply: Headlight gear finally stripped...