General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC Blowing hot

Old 10-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC Blowing hot

I have 1999 Camaro ss and I replaced the radiator and now the ac is blowing hot. What did I do wrong? Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Hughey
Old 10-01-2014, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

When you replaced the radiator, did you disturb any of the connections on the evaporator (the piece in front of the radiator). Is the compressor clutch engaging? Are the fans running, both of them at the same time?
Old 10-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Teching In

I coolant is not leaking I recharged it and have checked so it is not leaking so I don't think I messed up any connections. I have to check the fans and clutch. How do I know if the compressor is engaging?

Thanks

Hughey
Old 10-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Launching!

You will hear the clutch engage and disengage. Sounds like a loud clicking noise.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Launching!

When you put the fans back, did you plug the connectors back in?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95TAMaddog
I coolant is not leaking I recharged it and have checked so it is not leaking so I don't think I messed up any connections. I have to check the fans and clutch. How do I know if the compressor is engaging?

Thanks

Hughey
How do you know it's not leaking, how did you check it?
Old 10-04-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sounds like he's focusing on radiator/engine coolant (antifreeze) and not the r134a refrigerant in the AC system.

it doesn't really matter if the radiator you replaced and engine coolant is leaking or not.
the AC system is independent of all that, and has a little radiator called a condenser that's mounted in front of the large radiator you just replaced. I'm guessing since the car is 15 years old that you disturbed those AC lines enough going to the condenser, and the o-rings on those fittings are old and shot and you lost AC refrigerant also known as freon.
if you lost enough the compressor clutch won't even engage when you turn the AC on. you need to get a set of AC gauges and check system pressure of the AC system at the high and low service ports and see how much refrigerant may have leaked out, and diagnose from there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC Blowing hot